Rhein-Mosel Excursion


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
October 16th 2007
Published: October 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I'm going to try to keep this short, because we are in the middle of mid-terms and I have tons of work to do, but I have alot to tell.

So, this past weekend we went on a 3 day excursion through German wine country. I enjoyed it alot, because it was much more laid back and relaxing, and thw weather was much better. What was not better, however, was our transportation. Our bus driver was basically insane. He drove like a nutjob, and I was constantly fearing for my life. Also, to top it all off, our bus was not exactly the fines piece of machinery either. It broke dow twice, and some of the guys (including myself) had to push it to get it to start. I guess their standards are a little more lax here.

Besides that, the trip was a great time. First we went to Mainz to see the Gutenberg Museum (Gutenberg was the guy who invented the printing press). It was mildly interesting, but what mad it awesome was that our tour guide was the German version of Kramer from Seinfeld. He looked just like him and was just as whacked-out. After the Museum, we drove to Worms (Which had alot to do with Martin Luther), and I must confess we saw some cool things, but I din't pay much attention during the tour. At the end of the tour, we went to the Niebelungen Museum (The Niebelungen Tale is a very famous german myth), and had an audio guide tell us the story, which was pretty interesting.

The next day we took a Rhein Cruise from Bacharach, and got to see alot of the Rhein River. It was very relaxing. After the Rhein cruise, we drove to Trier, and had some free time there (some friends and I decided to watch a movie in English), and then we went winetasting at night. The Winery we went to had been in business since 1803, and the wine there was very good. They gave a tour of the whole winery, and the wine cellar, and we got to tast something like 12 different wines. It was alot of fun.

The next day we had a guided tour of Trier, which has alot of Roman ruins, and plays a pretty big part in Roman history. Our tour guide was excellent (we always do the tours in German, so the tour guide makes a huge difference on whether we actually know what's going on or not). We got to see the ruins of an old roman ampitheater and a ROman Bath, plus some other important buildings around Trier.

That was about all for this past weekend. As always, I took alot of pictures, so here's the website where you can see them. Enjoy 😊

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561000280PZXpAl?vhost=good-times

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb