Düsseldorf and Köln, and beer...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
June 19th 2006
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Toxic TexanToxic TexanToxic Texan

Scott; not used to 'real' beer!
Day 16, 16th June.

Around Düsseldorf

The guys, and Leslie, have all emulated their ‘Great Leader’ and bought Brookes saddles*. Today was spent lurking around town. At Kaufhaus we managed to use the internet and I read the many letters from Kathryn, including naughty ones!

Later on we went to Mark and Urs’s place to pick up our bikes we left last night then went back to the tents. I cooked dinner and Mark arrived later with Rita, his new girlfriend! Later on I called Kathryn collect, and spoke to her an hour about life and love, many times before have I imagined a future, but this time it seems that fate has stepped in and set this future in stone. I rode back to the campsite lit by fireflies.

*Brookes saddles - the best leather saddle you can buy for your bike. Takes about 500 miles to ‘wear-in’ to the exact shape of your arse. So, expect 500 miles of pain!


Day 17, 17th June.

Düsseldorf - Köln - Wesserling

We set out at nine and picked up Toby from the hostel. After picking up bread we had breakfast at Mark’s place
Rhein near Düsseldorf.Rhein near Düsseldorf.Rhein near Düsseldorf.

It's surprising really... such a big riverboat, a Highland Cow - and this is just a few miles north of Düsseldorf city centre!
and then he joined us for the ride to Köln. Six of us riding down the side of the Rhein was a formidable sight! At Köln I said my farewells to Mark once again and we headed off for our 3pm appointment with Helen Seeney at Deutsche Welle*. It was the tallest building south of Köln. Helen was different than I remembered her in Finland. She gave directions to her house and we all set off, getting soaked on the way! Helen and Rajeev let us stay in their house and we did our interview for the radio on the lounge carpet. Later on after many drinks Rajeev made an Indian meal for us all. I had more drinks and crashed out early cos I felt a bit weezy!

*Helen and Rajeev - I met Helen (Australian) and her husband Rajeev (Indian) while I was doing a bike trip around the Baltic Sea in 1999. They work for Deutsche Welle, a radio station, in the English language broadcasting department, and interviewed me.

Total Miles: 722.99 Todays Miles: 42.96 Average speed: 11.0 Time on bike: 3:53



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

DüsseldorfDüsseldorf
Düsseldorf

The Rhein Promenade near to the Aldstadt. The path you see continues to Köln.
DüsseldorfDüsseldorf
Düsseldorf

Taken from the 500 foot TV tower, this shot shows the Media Harbour which is the trendy night-life alternative to the gritty Altstadt.
Goodbye Mark!Goodbye Mark!
Goodbye Mark!

The last year to use up your German Marks - "Der Euro Kommt"!


Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb