Rostock & Two Smoking Barrels


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Mecklenburg-Vorpommern » Warnemünde
August 28th 2022
Published: November 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

WarnemündeWarnemündeWarnemünde

Seaside resort on the outskirts of Rostock.
I've mentioned it a few times on this blog but I really do have football to thank for introducing me to many of the travel destinations that I've visited in my time. The Champions League in the early 2000s for example, is what brought La Coruñato my attention; and a few years prior, the German city of Rostock was introduced into my consciousness from playing FIFA 98.

Over the years, I then learned that the historic maritime city of Rostock was part of the medieval Hanseatic League and was an important port city back in the day; indeed the port is still the lifeblood of the city in modern times. I had also heard that it was quite a pleasant place.
It was never really a priority to visit however; until Britta and I decided to make a rather last-minute weekend trip to the coast before the summer was out.

Jumping on to a train at Berlin's Hauptbahnhof, Germany's amazing train network only took three hours to ferry us north, up to the sea.
Arriving in Rostock, we discover that the city is nice enough - it has a nice main square and a developed riverside promenade that reminded me
Neuer MarktNeuer MarktNeuer Markt

Rostock's picturesque main square and the centre of the old maritime town.
of Auckland's Viaduct district - but otherwise downtown Rostock is reasonably unremarkable. The place seems pretty quiet, as one might expect of a city with just 200,000 inhabitants, and some nice modern apartments within sight of the water might make it quite a nice place to retire.

I don't know what it is about maritime towns, but they just have this cool, old, industrial vibe to them, which extends to the character of the old buildings that reside in such places.
It was in such an old building that we tried the local beer, Rostocker. It was rather average…there is perhaps a reason why the beer is not so well-known beyond the local area…
I always like eating fish and seafood when by the sea, which is exactly where Rostock is; well, a short distance down river from the sea. The fried rotbarsch I had with my Rostocker was nice enough. It was nevertheless, a pleasant meal in pleasant surrounds with pleasant company.
We stayed overnight in Rostock at what was quite a nice and new hotel - we figured that travelling three hours somewhere probably warranted more than just a day trip.

The next morning we jumped
Warnemünde LighthouseWarnemünde LighthouseWarnemünde Lighthouse

Perhaps Warnemünde's most famous sight.
on a short suburban train to Warnemünde, which is super-popular with locals and tourists alike. It was the real reason we had come to Rostock and the Ostsee.
And on arrival, we discovered why. The main canal right next to the train station was prettier than anything Amsterdam has, with cute buildings and manicured gardens opposite loads of boats peddling fischbrötchen. It is almost a bit too tidy…however, even something that feels a little contrived can still be pleasant and enjoyable. It was all rather romantic.
Speaking of romantic, what is more romantic than taking a loved one up on a ferris wheel? It definitely afforded some great views over Warnemünde and its port and beach. Warnemünde's mini-amusement park for kids lent the place a bit of an upmarket Blackpool feel.

We then walked out to the lighthouse which was well, a lighthouse - the older one further inland that could be climbed was much more interesting.
Warnemünde however, is best known for its long stretch of white-sand beach, which is exactly where we went and chilled for a couple of hours - which feels like a weird thing to say in a country not exactly known for its
Canalside PromenadeCanalside PromenadeCanalside Promenade

Running alongside the canal Alte Strom, this is Warnemünde's hub which is lined with cafes, restaurants and boutique shops, all housed in old A-framed fishermen's houses.
beaches. But here we were. It was relaxing though, I must say.
We saw a couple of cruise ships leaving Warnemünde, as we lied on the soft sand; having developed into a seaside resort since the 1800s, Warnemünde is the busiest cruise ship port in Germany. It reminded me of the Baltic "cruise" I took with Davies from Stockholm to Helsinki.
With the temperature in the low 20s, a typical Baltic wind blowing and water slightly cooler than the New Zealand ocean and only slightly warmer than Portuguese waters, I decided not to go for a swim. It didn’t stop a lot of hardy locals from jumping in though.
As we left Warnemünde to go back to Berlin, I decided to try a fischbrotchen - it was very good! Earlier in the day, I also tried “DDR softeis”. Not as creamy or milky as a McDonald’s soft serve, it was still nevertheless enjoyable, with the vanilla the winner over the chocolate.

And this concluded a short but enjoyable weekend away. It was the last weekend where we could make use of the free trains put on by the German government to help out with the current cost-of-living crisis. It was also probably
Alte StromAlte StromAlte Strom

The old canal alongside which sits most of Warnemünde's economic activity.
the last weekend we could get away together this summer, as I will be back “home” in London for the first time in six years, for the next two weekends. I’m looking forward to going back to a place I have so many fond memories of and it will be interesting to see how it has changed in the last six years.
I won't be writing from London, so I don't know when I will be posting to this blog again next - this was a blog entry I wasn't expecting to write, so who knows...it might be sooner than you think.

Bis zum nächsten mal,
Derek


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Am StromAm Strom
Am Strom

Cafes and restaurants on Warnemünde's pleasant canalside promenade.
Streets Of WarnemündeStreets Of Warnemünde
Streets Of Warnemünde

One block behind Alte Strom, Warnemünde has some nice, unique buildings.
Pretty WarnemündePretty Warnemünde
Pretty Warnemünde

Warnemünde has some pretty streets.
View From The Ferris WheelView From The Ferris Wheel
View From The Ferris Wheel

Looking over Warnemünde from the ferris wheel, over the Alte Strom canal and old town, across to the beach.
Me & BrittaMe & Britta
Me & Britta

Enjoying a romantic moment up on the ferris wheel.
Streets Of RostockStreets Of Rostock
Streets Of Rostock

Rostock's old town is pretty in places.
A German Beach!A German Beach!
A German Beach!

Warnemünde's beach stretches out for three kilometres.
Beachside PromenadeBeachside Promenade
Beachside Promenade

This pleasant stroll lies behind Warnemünde's beach.
Molenfeuer WestmoleMolenfeuer Westmole
Molenfeuer Westmole

One of two newer lighthouses on the rivermouth in Warnemünde.
Riverside Promenade, RostockRiverside Promenade, Rostock
Riverside Promenade, Rostock

Most of the old dock buildings now house cafes and restaurants with a nice waterside location.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb