The dark, dark woods


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Fritzlar
August 26th 2006
Published: August 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Guten Tag!
We are now in the heartlands of Germany and continuing East. We have clocked up about 1300 kilometers (about 800 miles) so far, our plan is to cross Germany, stopping at various interesting - looking places along the way, and then head down to Prague.
We are staying with some friends at the moment who I came to stay with when I was a teenager. They live in Fritzlar, which is the twin town of dear old Burnham-on-Sea. I was anxious not to turn up looking completely frazzled, and had images of serenely gliding up on our bikes. These were ruined when an enormous rainstorm erupted from nowhere as we cycled into their village, and we looked more like a pair of wet rats as we dripped all over their doorstep pathetically. We have since been enjoying the little appreciated luxuries, such as warm showers without tokens, clean sinks, sitting up to a table to eat, and television (which turned out to be as rubbish as I remember from a few weeks back - Simon).
Münster was a very nice city, a bit like York only with more students and more Germans. Our route to Fritzlar took us through the first proper hills we have seen since about Eastbourne - the landscape is getting very much more typically German now, with forests, old town centres and Biergartens to be found everywhere though we haven't seen a place selling exclusively sausages yet. We took a route along some very picturesque reservoirs, one of which had a dam which was famously busted during the war. A bed in a house was quite welcome after two nights in some very dark forests with strange screeching noises coming from somewhere in the distance. Tomorrow it will be back to "normal"...
We are enjoying the freedom at the moment of starting and stopping where we like, despite complaints about beds we are both really enjoying ourselves, and have resurrected our A level languages. I hope everyone is well and happy.
Tschüss!


Advertisement



28th August 2006

Guten Tag Lou and Simon
Glad to know that you are both having such a great time. It takes a bit of camping to really appreciate the luxuries of life like a bed and a warm shower. You seem to have had some good adventures and I hope that you have many more on your travels. Bon voyage (I'm in Brussels at the moment - so I'm practising my French!!!) xx

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb