Onwards and Upwards


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Münster
August 21st 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi there folks. Hope everyone is well. We have now passed into Germany. We were in Amsterdam for an excellent few days and saw and did a lot. Our campsite was in some woods in the south and every day we cycled in through them and negotiated the city. Not an easy task. By the time we had got the hang of a route through the maze of streets, trams and canals it was time to leave!
I went to see Anne Frank's house, it was really interesting. The little annex where they hid for so long is left fairly intact. You enter it through the secret bookcase door and climb up the little stairs. The place is left to stand for itself rather than having a fussy museum, although there are some exhibits. You can even see the pictures that she glued to her bedroom wall to try and cheer it up. We also went to see a houseboat museum, actually it was just a houseboat, but really cool to see how you can live in such a small place.
It was a bit of an anti-climax to leave, and cycle off into the gloom. And then it was a couple of days to the German border. Holland is obviously incredibly flat, which sounds good for us but it could get a bit boring going. About the only noteable thing we did was go and see around a windmill. It is a couple of hundred years old and everything, even all the workings, are wooden. Simon was incredibly enthused by the mechanics of it and I suspect that he now has plans to run one of his own when we get home.
As soon as we entered Germany, the facilities for cyclists got worse but the landscape got a bit more varied. There are even some hills which adds some interest! We wild camped in a forest last night, it was incredibly dark there, but cosy as can be in our tent. The weather has been a bit dank, however the trusty tent and panniers have held up well. Although the other night we were camped next to an Irish family on a site and heard one of the children screaming "I don't want to sleep in a tent anymore!", and I must confess to feeling a bit of solidarity. Our plan is to stay a couple of nights with a friend's parents at the end of this week and it will be a relief to have a few nights in a bed!
I will be in touch soon, thanks for all the messages. Sorry about the lack of photos but we only have an SLR camera...

Advertisement



22nd August 2006

spiders?
Hi Lou and Simon, wish I was there!! Any spiders in the forest, sounds pretty scary to me. keep having many adventures and taking photos Em xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb