Frankfurt and sightseeing


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt
January 12th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.0924, 8.68195

Today, we were going to go separate ways, Clint was going to the Trade Show, and Nikki and I were going to go sightseeing on a Hop on, Hop off bus around Frankfurt. We showered and went down for breakfast, such a busy little breakfast room with so many people getting ready also to go to the trade fair. Again, we ate till we popped, and then walked to the train station, seeing Clint off at the tram stop out the front of the Main Train station. Nikki and I went inside to get our tickets for the bus, €15 each for all day.
We jumped on the blue double decker bus outside and awaited our departure. We sat up the top so we had a better view. Once started, we crossed over the Rhine River, and we were taken past the Saxon area, and then over to the shopping district, past the big old Churches, past the Opera Theatre,through the West End Financial District, and we also past where Clint was, at the Frankfurt Messe hall, the hall where Exhibitions, Concerts, and lots of other things are held. Next we were back at the train station, we thought we would do a whole loop so we could see where we would like to get off and explore. Nikki chose the H7 stop....yes, that's the shopping stop!! From the train station to the shopping stop, we collected a group of people including a tour guide, several Australians also in this tour, they were going to do a history walking tour around the same area we were getting off, along the way, he said there were 730,000 people living in the city of Frankfurt, with a further 50 km radius, there is a total of 5million people, making Frankfurt the 5th biggest city in Germany. He said the Train Station was started in 1888 and finished in 1895. There is approx. 450,000 passengers using this station daily and it has a total of 120 tracks. Frankfurt Airport is also the biggest airport in Germany, and the 4th biggest in the world! There you go, some facts that I learnt today!!
Well we got off at H7 and we went shopping!! First into Galleria, sort of like Myers, but bigger, selling everything under the sun. Nikki started off well buying some Calvin Klein underwear she has always wanted, a rarity for Nikki wanting to let the moths out of her purse!!
From here we walked to the Mall like shopping area, seemed to be different now, although we came to this shopping area the first night we arrived, but it was when Nikki wore her new boots and her feet were too sore and she wanted to back to the Hotel, but now she was here to shop and I just followed her. Next we hit Nikki's favourite shop that she found originally in the UK, Primark. Well I think for the next hour we were here, she needed a basket for this shop!!
Well, shopping brings on hunger, so we found food in the middle of the mall and sat down to eat. We spent a good couple of hours in this area, then we went to our bus stop and continued our journey around the loop. We rang Clint, but he was still at the Trade Fair, right at the back of the grounds, so we continued back to the train station, where we got off and took the bags back to our room.
We got up to the 4th floor, and........ Our keys didn't work once again, we both looked at each other and thought, "not again!"
Back down to reception, bags in tow, and told them we couldn't access our room with either key, they reprinted them and then we had to go back to the 4th floor once again.Thank god we weren't climbing all those stairs each time, we opened our door, and Yes, our bags were still there. We stayed in the room until Clint arrived back, his key also not working!
We had a quiet drink and caught up on all the events of today at the Trade show. Clint met lots of Trade people here, he enjoyed walking for miles around all the massive halls, he was amazed how much money businesses would have paid to have their stands assembled as some of them were massive. At this stage, he has not come up with any new ideas!!!
As we still had tickets for the Hop on Hop off bus, I said to Clint I would take him around so he could explore Frankfurt too. There must be something about H7 cos when I said to Clint if he wanted to get off and go shopping, we could. Well, we did. There was still 2 more buses that we're going to past so we thought we would have half an hour here. We found a German sweet shop and then wandered and went into some massive kitchen type shop selling lots of things we haven't seen before. Well we headed back to the bus stop, but before we were even near it, the bus was early and it was already passing the stop. As I knew which way the bus went from this point, I made Clint run to the next stop, the bus was coming and then it had to stop at the traffic lights, so we begged the driver to let us on, luckily he did but grumbled "there is NO stop here" as we walked upstairs!!!! Grumpy old man syndrome, hahaha!!
Back to the Train station, then to our room, we got back at 6pm and Nikki was hungry, so without having time to relax, we shuffled out the door once again and out to the street to find food. Nikki was easy, she wanted pizza again, so we paid and she took it back to the room and we walked further, by now it was starting to rain. About 1 km later, we found a Thai Restaurant called Coco's. We ordered our meals and also a German Beer, as you have to have a beer in Germany!!! Come to think of it , we haven't even had a German meals while we've been here, we've had Irish, Indian and tonight was Thai!!!! Food here was really nice, the beer was ok, but we are not beer drinkers, but we had to try it.
Walking back to the Hotel, we past 2 Gun shops, where we saw a Walther rifle like I have, not exactly my type, but it was €1499.00. This shop had so many guns etc just in the window, not even with bars on them!
Back finally to our room, a little wet from the rain, we then finished off with a glass of wine and chilled.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Almost normalAlmost normal
Almost normal

Almost normal


14th January 2017

So much fun reading your posts...
14th January 2017

So much fun reading your posts...

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb