Sightseeing in Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BerlinBerlinBerlin

The largest remaining section of the famous Berlin Wall
Today Cam and I hired some bikes, which Im sure is the best way to see Berlin. Its amazingly big and a fantastic place to visit. So rich in history, I love it because every where I turn there is something I have learnt about and it makes it all the more special and interesting. The WWII stuff is really where my interests lie, Im just not into art and churches..

We rode to the largest remaining section of the Berlin Wall, separating east from west and got a few pictures there. It is covered in Graffiti as Berlin in one of only a few cities where graffiti is legal. Seeing that derelict length of concrete is so surreal when you know that during our lifetime it was the Iron Curtain and literally separated families and caused teh death of many for simply walking through where I was now taking happy snaps.

We went to the Jewish Holocaust Museum next. It was pretty good but really far more detailed on Jewish history and persecution than WWII. On the way back we went past Checkpoint Charlie, which is now simply a few remaining relics mounted on a building. But again
BerlinBerlinBerlin

One of the many beach clubs that can be found all over Germany
it symbolises so much more than that.

That arvo we were on the bus to Hamburg which was a 3 hour journey. Chris and Jakob met us at the station and escorted us back to his house. Jakobs house was really nice and for some reason reminded me of the Research area at home. All his family except for his dad are in Austria at the moment. Jakobs dad has a fantastic German accent which is really dramatised with his favourite saying, "on the right side there are apple trees and on the left side there are apple trees" god knows what that meant.

We had a delicious BBQ which I have been craving this entire trip. Was a bit different to an aussie but still totally delicious. German food is good stuff. Had the best garlic bread known to man.

the night was topped off with a few hilarious episodes of we can be heroes, which I actually never saw on the ABC at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

BerlinBerlin
Berlin

A reconstructed checkpoint Charlie


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb