Weekend in Hamburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
May 4th 2009
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ahhh, hello again old friends. Figured I would give everybody an update before my big week coming up. This past weekend I went on a trip with the IUSP group to Hamburg. Hamburg is a city-state in northern Germany. It is also the second largest city in Germany, beat only by Berlin.

We left on Thursday around 4:30 from Marburg. After we arrived at the hostel, we walked around the city (having no clue where to go) and ended up at a tasty Italian place and had dinner there around 10:30 or something like that. We were all pretty tired, so we walked back then. The next day we went out and walked along the water and eventually took a little boat ride around the harbor. It was relaxing and the weather was great too. After walking a bit more along the water we made our way up to the area of town known as St. Pauli. This is 'seedier' part of town, if you will. This is also where the infamous Reeperbahn (red light district) is. Suffice it to say that there are many interesting people, shops, and.... woman on this street (and this was at 1pm).

Well after that we walked to a park and just relaxed for a few hours. It was nice to lay in the grass with my shoes off and throw some frisbee. We went back to the hostel then, and got ready to go out for the night. We went back to the Reeperbahn and went in a few bars there, and generally just took in the interesting people/things. I will say this, I have never been offered... well, I will just say people are not shy on this street, haha.

The next day we did an impromptu walking tour around the city, then hit up the aquarium. That was really nice, and a nice change of pace from stomping around the city all day. We were all pretty exhausted (did I mention we walked a lot??) so we went back and took some naps. We went out again that night, but I ended up going back early, around 1ish cause I didn't feel like getting drunk and or dancing.

Sunday was our last day, and the weather was not quite as fortunate. We had time to kill, so we walked to the Rathaus one more time, then back to the hostel. Then, back to Marburg!

Well here I am, and by 8 am tomorrow Ashley and Sarah will be in Germany!! They are visiting for two weeks and we are taking a little trip to two small towns, Paris, and Rome. Perhaps you have heard of them?? ; ) I am very excited for that and for them to get here! Get ready for a lot of pics with my next update!! Keep on holding down the homefront, and I will be back before you know it. C ya!!!

ps. sorry about the no pics. they will come... eventually.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb