Rock Climbing Pics and VIDEO!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Jeff Climbing... 27 secs
(Depending on your browser and connection, the video may or may not play. Please let me know if you have any trouble! Either send me a message, post a comment or email me directly.) This particular video will play sideways as that is how it was shot and I don't have access to any video editing programs here.

Our students were quite busy Wednesday evening. A solid group went for a tour of Hamburg SV stadium (the local pro soccer club), and others were packed with other plans. Poor Jeff though was without anything to do. I had received an offer to go indoor rock climbing with my host families son, and of course I took him up on the offer! Since poor Jeff had nothing to do, he jumped at the chance to tag along.

The complex was quite impressive, with an array of outdoor walls and two indoor facilities. The walls were about 50 feet call and there are about 1000, yes thousand, different routes layed out at any given time.

We started on an outdoor wall which was rated 3+ on a scale of 1- 10. Obviously this was a bit too easy. We then moved over to a wall that was real stone and morter like youd see on a tall wall in the city. This one was rated at about a 5 and was much more challenging. After conquering that, we moved inside for some real fun!

On the inside, Jaff mastered a 5+ and really wanted a challenge. Our friends set a line on a route with 3 solid overhangs, meaning as Jeff went up, he had to negotiate ledges above him. This route was rated a 6+, which is really quite difficult! Of course our friends have been climbing for years and were there to ensure that everything was safe. With arms burning, Jeff made it, and I now owe him a double kugel gellato.

On the way back down, Mr. Vogel had a little fun with him (see video) and I'm not sure he's caught his breath yet!

On another note, I just want to say that we have an AWESOME group of kids on this trip! I continue to be incredibly impressed with how well they are doing. It is easy to get run down, be affected by some rain showers, or get a little home sick. If any of them are, they sure aren't showing it! They continue to smile, exude energy and enthusiasm, and are always full of fun stories about things here! Kudos to all of them!

Enjoy the pics and check back soon for shots from Friday's "Amazing Race" and Malta!

-Ben





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



11th July 2008

Pretty awesome video!
11th July 2008

Thought you'd like that one! Haha

Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb