Hamburg & Lübeck


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
August 16th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My last trip in Germany before heading back home to Finland. 😞 So this time I update my Travelblog right after the trip. Unusual, I know, but I bet a nice surprise too! The travels that I still haven't updated here will be written to Travelblog some time soon...

Target: Hamburg & Lübeck in northern Germany!


I travelled with my Erasmus friends Christina, Daniela and Francesco. Christina is an Erasmus student from Bordeaux but is a German. Daniela comes from Portugal and Francesco from Italy. I...well you know where I come from!


This trip was a surprise trip. We "planned" it on Tuesday night in an Erasmus party at Karlshof, Darmstadt. (And if you doubt it - no, alcohol had nothing to do with this trip planning!) "The plan" was to drive up to Hamburg with Christina's car and spend 2-3 days there. We were lucky to have a place to stay at Christina's father who owns a house in Ahrensburg, a town northeast of Hamburg. So, off we went on Thursday noon!


It took us about 6,5 hours to get there but we had a long break before getting on Autobahn 7. I have to admit - when Daniela was driving, the small Opel almost flew on the Autobahn! We arrived at Ahrensburg around 19 o'clock, had a nice dinner and headed out for the Hamburg night. We spent the evening playing billard! 😊


The next day we drove to Lübeck. It was only about 60km away from Ahrensburg so we got there in less than 30 minutes. We visited the Tourist information and got a map of a walking route in downtown Lübeck. We saw the Holstentor, the Puppenteater Museum, Lübeck Dom, Rathaus (the town hall) and its market place, Schiffergesellschaft (the Sailor Association) restaurant, Museumshafen (the Museum Harbor) and many other places. The most impressive was Heiligen-Geist-Hospital (the Holy Ghost Hospital). Its history dates back to 1260 when the construction of one of the oldest social institutions and hospitals of the Middle Ages started. The Heiligen-Geist-Hospital consists of a church, a large hospital hall and several other buildings next to the hospital building. It served as a hospital till 1964 when the Senate of Lübeck decided that no further patients are admitted to the hospital. Until then it had accommodated 170 old people. The building complex was reconstructed in the 1970's. The Heiligen-Geist-Hospital is still a public foundation that is administrated by the Hanseatic City of Lübeck. It was a nice place to visit.


We had walked a lot and wanted to have a break before our last place to visit. And when it started raining we were ready to take a break in a restaurant called Feuerstein (Fire Stone). A very nice place. Recommended!


The last place to visit was Niederekker. The famous marzipan place in Lübeck. We did some very delicious shopping!! 😊 A very sweet place to visit. Their ice cream is also strongly recommended!


We spend the rest of the evening cooking and eating together and walking around in downtown Ahrensburg. I felt like at home - the night was dark and cool. Just like in Finland at this time of the year. We had driven only 500km north but it was enough to change the warm southern night to cool northern night. Soon it will be fall...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb