Another great city


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Hamburg but I should back track a little because I was working under stressful conditions in Berlin, so my blog was short...with only the internet cafe to work from and no English from my friendly shop owner it was impossible to add photos.
Berlin was great!!!our time with Nicole was priceless as well as being very expensive. Dean was reunited with his dad and so they were together - he has a very interesting family history from Berlin and he and his dad were off to trace their "roots". This left us exclusively with Nico...to shop and eat and only pause between funny stories to shop again. Deans dad had booked her to stay at the same hotel that Michael Jackson dangled his baby from the balcony....its a story that the hotel staff seemed reluctant to talk about. They prefer to be recognised for their quality service or that Jennifer Aniston stays there rather than Michael and the dangling baby.
We visited an amazing memorial to the Jews killed throughout Germany, although it was shocking to see and read about, it left you with the feeling that it is something that everyone should do just to get a better understanding of what really happened.
For those followers of this Hinkley excursion, you would remember that it was our plan to fly to Poland and visit the Auschwitz concentration camp. Not high on my "to do list" but I was voted down. Thankfully we had trouble with flights and connections and it became obvious that this was impossible to do in one day....this visit to the memorial was a good substitute.
After a great 3 days, we eventually said a sad goodbye to Nicole. Pete and I jumped on the fast train to Hamburg, what a way to travel this country. The ICE train travels in excess of 200 miles/ hour, and you get an opportunity to sit in comfort and watch the world flash by.
Hamburg is different again, a lot of waterways and canals...still very interesting. I have had my first day of work at the Sports Turf Conference, just sitting and listening to lectures has made for a relaxing change....more of the same tomorrow.
I have heaps of photos to show you but again this hotel computer port does not like my camera...what a pain....I will try for tomorrow


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb