Global Drying


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Brandenburg » Frankfurt
July 24th 2022
Published: July 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

I was just on the Rhine River last year, October, to be exact, and it was flowing with a vengeance. I was on a wine tasting tour near Rudesheim, not far from Frankfurt. Here are some facts: The River Rhine is drying up amid record-breaking summer heatwaves.The river, which passes through Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands, is crucial for moving cargo.The water level at the Rhine's bottleneck is at its lowest level in at least 15 years, Bloomberg reported.


The River Rhine, one of Europe's most important rivers which is used to transport cargo including chemicals, grains, and coal across the continent, is drying up amid record-breaking summer heatwaves.

Germany's Federal Institute of Hydrology has warned that rivers in Central Europe are at "unusually low" levels and are continuing to fall.

Much of the 800-mile Rhine passes through Germany, Europe's biggest economy, but the river also runs through Austria, Switzerland, and the Netherlands as well as along the border between France and Germany.

The water level at Kaub, the river's bottleneck, was 71 centimeters (just under 28 inches) on Tuesday morning, according to Germany's federal administration for waterways and shipping. When it reached 77 centimeters (30 inches) last week, it was already at the lowest level for this time of year since at least 2007, Bloomberg reported, citing government data.

Germany's weather service issued heat warnings for almost all the country on Tuesday. Temperatures are set to reach nearly 40 degrees Celsius (just over 100 degrees Fahrenheit) in some parts of the country, including Berlin, Leipzig, and Hannover, though the areas through which the Rhine flows are expected to be slightly cooler.

Low water levels on the Rhine having an economic impact has not been uncommon in recent years, with a lack of water in the river attributed in 2019 to causing a short-lived recession in Germany at the tail end of 2018.
You can tell that the global warming is happening all over the world. For the naysayers, I won't mention which political party, it is time you accept reality and help solve the problems you helped create!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb