Day 6 - Museums, The Wall and a Sunset


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin
January 7th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.5235, 13.4115

Today we started out walking to Museum Island which was a fifteen to twenty minute walk from the Circus.

We had purchased the 3 Day Welcome Card with Museum Island, so used this today to access the museums. The buildings of Museum Island are all very attractive, it is just a lovely place to walk around and it was also a beautiful sunny morning.

We started at the Pergamon Museum and were lucky enough to be there just as it opened and so there were very few people. This is a really spectacular museum. The sheer size of some of the exhibits such as the Market Gate of Miletus, the Pergamon Altar and the Ishtar Gate have to be seen to be believed. This museum is well worth spending time at.

After we had spent a couple of hours at the Pergamon, we went into the Neues Museum. We didn't spend too long in here, we mainly wanted to see the bust of Nefertiti and the Berlin Hat.

Gary and I then popped in to the Altes National Gallery to see the impressionist paintings. The two boys had had an overdose of art by this time, so stayed outside playing games on their iphones!!

After leaving Museum Island, we headed towards Friedrichstrasse station, stopping along the way for a quick lunch of Thuringer Bratwurst at Restaurant Nolle – delicious.

We then headed for the Berlin Wall Memorial where we spent an enjoyable afternoon walking the length of the wall in the sunshine and reading all the information regarding it.

Next we headed by train to Alexanderplatz and the TV Tower. There was a very short queue to climb the tower, and we were lucky enough to just step out of the lift in time to see the sun set over Berlin. Beautiful, I never expected a wonderful sunset here! We stopped for Berlinis at the cocktail bar and watched night fall over the city, before returning to our hotel to change and go for dinner at White Trash Fast Food, about a ten minute walk from the Circus. An interesting place, but not sure that I would go back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb