The German Resistance and the Bendler Block


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
August 26th 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Claus Graf von StauffenbergClaus Graf von StauffenbergClaus Graf von Stauffenberg

This statue represents Claus Graf von Stauffenberg. Stauffenberg was forced to take on two critical roles: kill Hitler outside of Berlin and then trigger the military in Berlin at the same time.
After my roadside conversation with the Armani shirt-selling guy I headed towards the Bendler Block, a memorial to German Resistance during the regime of Adolf Hitler and the Nazis. Although the exhibition is totally in German it was still a very moving experience.

Claus Graf von Stauffenberg, who was the driving force behind the assassination attempt, was executed following the failed attempt. (This assassination plot inspired the making of the film Valkyrie starring Tom Cruise). In total nearly 5 000 people were executed as a result of this failed assassination.

In the courtyard there is a naked statue in rememberance of von Stauffenberg. He along with a number of co-conspiritors were executed by firing squad in this square.

I left the exhibition and walked again to Potsdammer Platz for some lunch inside the Sony Centre - the iconic skyscraper of Berlin. I sat down, asked for a local beer and was told "....sorry we serve Australian beers only...'' shocked by this I asked why and was advised that I was sitting in Corroboree, an Australian themed bar and restaurant!

Still stunned by the Australian only statement I ordered a Crown Lager under protest accompanied by a prawn
The ExecutionThe ExecutionThe Execution

von Stauffernberg and an number of his fellow plotters were executed by firing squad in this now peaceful square.
curry (not quite Australian). The beer was passable (as it was nice and cold) and the curry edible.

I left the Sony Centre, headed down to Kurfürstendamm to buy a couple of items of clothing (my search for a launderette failed) and then returned to the hotel for my regular siesta (I must find the german equivalent word).

Tonight is my last night in Berlin and havent decided whether to head to a nice restaurant or just order some curry wurst on the street. I'll let you know next time I blog!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Inside the ExhibitionInside the Exhibition
Inside the Exhibition

Though totally in German, the message was clear and an important memorial to those who represented the domestic German resistance during World War II.
The Resistance MovementThe Resistance Movement
The Resistance Movement

A wall covered with many of those who attempted to fight Hitler and the Nazis from within
Inside the Sony CentreInside the Sony Centre
Inside the Sony Centre

This landmark opened in the year 2000 and houses a mix of restaurants, bars, hotels and an Australian themed restaurant!
Where are the prawns?Where are the prawns?
Where are the prawns?

The curry was tasty enough however the prawns were decidedly European, very small!


26th August 2009

Guten tag
What an artisan of words Mr Jack. What is the story with a prawn curry in Germany. What about a bot of cabbage? Weather looks like it is good and you are certainly the little tourist. Sounds like you are having a great time

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb