East side


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
April 8th 2009
Published: April 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ok, look at the pictures. One thing, East Germany is really nice, because everything is new. Most of the buildings were built after the fall of the wall.

Peace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Nuremberg Nuremberg
Nuremberg

If I was a Kid this is what would be in my nightmares.
Nuremberg Nuremberg
Nuremberg

Cover Bridge
Nuremberg Nuremberg
Nuremberg

Jim White and his daughter Carrie. I stayed with them last weekend. Really nice and he said "Dude" a lot, so that made him cool. Oh and that's me on the left, in the black shirt.
Nuremberg Nuremberg
Nuremberg

Not a very good shot but here is the courthouse where the Nuremberg trials were held.
Worms, Germany Worms, Germany
Worms, Germany

"Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." -Martin Luther
Worms, Germany Worms, Germany
Worms, Germany

Monument for Luther
WormsWorms
Worms

Catholic church in Worms. At one time, when worms was larger this church was very important to the Catholics for a meeting place.
WormsWorms
Worms

Spigety ice-cream, super good.
Worms Worms
Worms

not sure if you can see or not but those are cassette tapes, yes new in a store...
BerlinBerlin
Berlin

yeah, 12 bucks per person for 30 mins, not that bad really. I bet this thing gets 1/2 mile to the gallon.
Berlin Berlin
Berlin

Not sure who it was.
BerlinBerlin
Berlin

yeah I know
BerlinBerlin
Berlin

Parliament. The dome was rebuilt after the war
BerlinBerlin
Berlin

Soviet Victory Monument
Berlin Berlin
Berlin

last of the 12 gates to Berlin. It was taken by Napoleon after defeating the Prussian army.
Berlin Berlin
Berlin

Dietrich Bonhoeffer's House.Dietrich Bonhoeffer – Berlin Pastor and professor of theology – resisted National Socialism at a time when tyranny and racism ruled Germany, victimizing religious, ethnic, and social minorities. Bonhoeffer applied his Christian faith and his theological reflections to his everyday actions. This brought him in conflict with the Nazi regime, and he paid for his convictions with his life.


9th April 2009

A+
This is my favorite post so far.
9th April 2009

Travis, I only have one word - unbelievable. When I saw these pictures I was even more impressed with the saying, "Don't tell me about your education - tell me where you have traveled." For example I just read the Letters and Papers from Prison by Dietrich Bonhoeffer who was hanged by the Nazis on April 9, 1945. I thought I was smart until I saw your picture and comment at his house. Way to go Travis. If you were not my son I would be jealous of your picture at Martin Luther's memorial. Almost everyday of my life as a child I heard about the Berlin Wall - and you were there. For years I heard about the Nuremberg Trials - your pictures enabled me to better understand history. The one picture of the water was beautiful. I loved the picture of the Brandenburg Gate. They were all good pictures.
9th April 2009

Why east side?
Apart from the 2 photos with the Brandenburg Gate, all shown places are either in former West Germany or former West Berlin. And even on the Brandenburg Gate photos you're no more than 100 meters onto the east side.
9th April 2009

Lot of Photos
Great post with a lot of great commentary, Ice cream looked good
10th April 2009

Maybe
Loved this post - especially the commentary. Thinking more seriously maybe that I maybe would like to be in your shoes - maybe.
10th April 2009

New Cassettes
You act like there was something wrong with that! Where were the LP's?
12th April 2009

I love your night scenes. I had heard about that icecream, it looks delicious.
28th April 2009

Greetings from Florida
Hi! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. What an awesome experience. We plan to be in Italy in July with Aaron. Love, Aunt Carolyn

Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb