Berlin - The artsy capital of Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
October 12th 2007
Published: October 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone!

We are in Berlin and have experienced a bit of culture shock. After spending 16 days in Munich, we have landed in what looks like a completly different country. Munich is very beautiful, as are the people. People in Munich dress Banana Republicy and are very conservative/traditional. Michelle and I went to a night club in Munich once and were amazed to find that they really dont dance. They sort of sway from side to side... but thats about it. When we wore dresses with tights in Munich, we would get strange stares on the subway. Even our Greece tans got us the eye from most old ladies.

In Berlin... things are very different. When we got onto the subway after we arrived we knew we were in another world. The people here are a mix of indie, punk, rock, emo, skin head, and just some are just average like us. The city is huge with little independantly owned restaurants filling every street. The night clubs are old factories or movie theaters.

We are staying with a friend of a friend (Munich Martin recommended we stay with his friend Berlin Martin!). His flat is the most amazing flat ive ever seen. Its sort of what I hope my flat will look like some day. Its huge (About 20 X larger than Munich Martins) and he decorated it all himself. Hes got mosiac tile everwhere and even one of those old bath tubs! His apartment building is located directly in front of where the Berlin wall used to be! You can see holes in the pavement where the wall used to be. Michelle and I have explored what used to be the East... and the West of Berlin. Those commies have some great buildings on the East!

Berlin Martin is a film student. I noticed that most people in Berlin are some sort of art student. Berlin is the European student capital... and in my eyes the German art capital.

Last night Berlin Martin took us to a rock show. He explained that all German rock bands start out in Berlin. It was an amazing show! The band was great and the venue was small enough to enjoy it up close (check them out: Mit Wilson).

We are looking forward to a huge brunch tomorrow with Berlin Martin and his friends. Traditional German style! 😉

Tati

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb