Wednesday in Wurzburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Würzburg
September 17th 2014
Published: September 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

How time flies!

Him is now recovered and Her caught it and is just over the worst of it. Herc seems able to avoid all these ailments- obviously made of hardier stuff than them!

We had Sunday morning cruising through Bavaria and sampled Frushoppen, which is second breakfast of beer and sausages around 10.00am. The waistlines are growing inches daily. The feet can't hold up to the amount of walking required to walk it all off. The Cruise Director is offering groups for people who need gentle walking and it means that we have become the core of a small group of people who admit to being a bit past it. It gives us a much more personalised tour and an opportunity to build relationships with the guides. They are a treat , very knowledgeable and passionate about their history and really friendly. The 105 photos taken in Melk have not re-appeared so sadly that means I can't share the baroque masterpiece that is Melk Abbey. Not quite sure how I did it but I think a download from John's camera may have obliterated them.

So Sunday afternoon in Regensburg was wet but interesting and Julia told us the fables of the history of the town, which was spared any destruction in WW11. Little quaint cobblestoned alleyways and sausage tasting in the first ever takeaway in the world - a sausage house dating back to 1135. A gorgeous old stone bridge with its own fable about its construction was sadly in curtains as it was being cleaned and restored.

Monday we left the Danube and went into the Main Danube canal. The stretch responsible for opening the way from the North Sea to the Black Sea, we had a guy onto the boat to explain its history and the physics of the locks. He pointed out the 2 occasions when the canal passed over the roadways. It is truly amazing that we have travelled to a height of 406 mtrs above sea level and the first 3 locks after the "divide" were 25 mtrs each that we dropped. Wonders of man beating nature!! We arrived in Nuremberg in the afternoon and found the historian guide Alex, very interesting. All the guides were quite determined about ensuring that all peoples understand what happened to the German people during Hitler's time, to ensure it never happens again. He took us to the site of the Hitler Nazi Party rallies and then to the Citadel in the top of town. The downhill run on the cobblestones was successfully negotiated by Him and Her with Herc safely secured in the backpack. He emerged in time to try Apple cake and some other tasty thing with crumble atop. We sampled Lebkuchen (Nurnberg gingerbread), so we will be excited when that hits the Aldi stores around Christmas.

Tuesday we arrived in Bamberg before sunrise and were the exclusive guests of Sabine who was delightful and inspiring. Bamberg is proving to be lots of people's favourite as it was smaller, cuter and a little more relaxed than Nuremberg. We got to sample Bamberg Bacon Beer and Bamberg Butter Horns. Herc discovered how much beer a bear can bear! It was a nice drop, but only if you like a stout! We saw lots of the lower town but didn't make it up to the Cathedral to see the Bamberg Rider but had a nice wander around after the tour.

Today, Wednesday we again arrived in port before dawn in Wurzburg. We are docked in the middle of town surrounded by vine clad fields, palaces and churches- hope some of the photos do it justice. We had the pleasure of an Irish born guide Carolyn who has lived here for over 24 years. She took us through the Residenz which is a baroque palace that has been partially restored. One area of the palace was completely untouched during the war but the restoration of the other parts has been expensively and faithfully undertaken. Nearly all of our destinations so far have shown us UNESCO World Heritage places. John has not yet reached the ABC catch cry, but we are both aware that our feet aren't up to the cobblestones. Off to a disco party with the crew tonight, but we might be sitting most of them out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb