Regensburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Regensburg
June 15th 2015
Published: June 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Regensburg is a town built 2000 years ago by the Romans. The ruins of the Castra Regina fort has stone inscribed in AD 179 when Marcus Aurelius was emperor. It has the oldest stone bridge in Germany, built in the twelfth century, although it was under restoration when we were there and completely covered up. Regensburg is Germany's largest medieval city and the historic city center was undamaged during WWII.

Regensburg is also the home town of Don Juan de Austria and they had a statue erected of him. He was the illegitimate son of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and through many twists and turns became very powerful and successful.

This town had its golden years between 1200-1500 and was very successful as a major trading route.

Now take all of that history and think of how they've tried to preserve it. Then think of my dad, in 2001, having to stay in their hospital for10 days and almost bleeding to death when he was on a riverboat trip with my mother. By the Grace of God everything turned out all right but I don't think this is one of my mother's favorite places to visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb