Arrival in Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 30th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.1391, 11.5802

After the frantic nature of exploring Berlin, the journey to the south of Germany has been a more relaxed transition. We left Berlin around noon on Monday from the bus depot on the German Linenbus service. The bus was half full, and comfy enough. It rained most of the journey. 8 hours later, we were in Munich. With no quality map or directions, we boarded a nearby train towards the suburb of our accommodation. With the kind assistance of a couple locals, we were able to find the Holiday Inn, Unterhaching, about 15 minutes walk from that station, along the railway line. Its an excellent hotel compared to Berlin, only 20 minutes from the city by train. Natalie did a great job finding it. Its air conditioned with two bedrooms, on different levels.
Tuesday morning, we had a bit of a sleep in, surfacing around 10.30. We walked around the nearby neighborhood of Unterhaching. Here we did some shopping for the next couple days, and browsed some clothing stores. Late afternoon, around 3, we headed into the city centre of Munich.
Its a prettier city than Berlin, especially in the evening sunshine. Its more crowded, but feels like a more relaxed place, a holiday destination. It lacks the overwhelming amount of landmarks and museums of Berlin which meant we knocked off the majority of these in the afternoon, Marienplatz Square, St Peters church and the Fraulenkirchen Dom Cathedral.
From here a walk towards central station, where we were to meet up with some friends from Australia. Matt and Jason had arrived today in Munich, after flying in to Frankfurt the previous day. The three of us have frequented the Hofbrauhaus in Melbourne for work lunches and Friday night drinks. Now it was time for the real thing. Hofbrauhaus Munich is a beer enthusiasts holy ground. It seats thousands, a giant multilevel beer hall. The menu is hearty German, schnitzels, pork knuckle, potatoes, soups and meat dishes. The local beer is served in one size; large. Near all beer is served in 1Litre steins. Jas and I had 3 and Matt 2. Even Nat had a half litre wheat beer. Marielle sampled, but stuck with coke. Matt made a ridiculous 20€ bet with Jas he could handle 4 Steins tomorrow. We all ordered schnitzels, Matt and I shared a second. Id been looking forward to HB, and it was no disappointment. Tomorrow, a day tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



8th August 2013

What a lovely picture - both look relaxed!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb