Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
May 21st 2005
Published: May 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for the delay in the update, last night I spent a lot of time at the hostel trying to find a place to stay in Venice (we leave for a night train to Venice in 2 hours), so I didn't get a lot of time to update.

Yesterday we went to the Dachau concentration camp, which was very interesting and took a lot longer than we thought it would take, mostly because it was a lot bigger than we thought. It was very depressing and it made the rest of the day a bit sadder.

After that we came back to Munich and walked around for a while. We went to the Marienplatz, a square by the old city hall which houses a very large cuckoo type clock, and we also saw a bunch of houses and saw the Residenz palace. Then we saw the largest park in Europe, Englisher Gardens (twice the size of Central Park in NYC), which was cool. It has this "surfer wave" in one of the many river type canals that run through it, which as cool, but it also has quite the population of nudists, which was interesting. We got some good pictures from up on this hill in the park, but I haven't found a computer that lets me plug my camera in. That night we went to the Haufbrauhaus, one of the most famous beer halls/gardens in the world, which was really cool. The beer was very good, even though I didn't have much, and we also ate there, and the food was very good as well (think medievel type food, lamb shanks and that sort).

Today, we travelled to Fussen where we saw the Neushwanstein castle (the one Walt Disney modeled the Cinderella castle at Disney World after) and the Hohenshwangau Castle. Both where built by mad King Ludwig II during the 19th Century as part of the romantic movement, or something like that (something to do with restoring medievel castles and motifs). It was really cool, but also completely ridiculous, since the castle isn't for defense purposes or anything, but more for fun for the king. We toured Neushwanstein but not the other, since we were told it wasn't that great. After we got back to Munich before we go off to Venice, Nate and I went to the Augustiner Keller beer hall, which is supposed to be more refined than the Haufbrauhaus. They both seemed about the same, but apparently the Augustiner oompa band was out for the night (since it is Saturday), but the Augustiner beer was better I think (this time I had a full Maß, which is a full liter). The waitress didn't give us a choice as too what we wanted or what size, so we just agreed to the liter mug and had a good time, since we don't understand German, and she didn't understand English.

I better get going, talk to you again when I get to Venice.

Advertisement



21st May 2005

ah. i thought you said you took many pictures of the nudists...be careful of the placement of your sentences especially when it comes to people with dirty minds! ;) - lb
24th May 2005

And we all know lb was referring to herself... anyway, that clock is the Glockenspiel. Which is fun to say out loud.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb