Day 45


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 2nd 2015
Published: July 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another day tour, planned by you know who, sees us heading to a castle in Fussen called Neuschwanstein Castle.

It is the castle used by Disney and Sleeping Beauty.

Along the way we learn from our guide that the castle was built in 1869 by king Ludwig 2nd and has never been finished.

King Ludwig was a strange man and mostly a recluse, not comfortably with the responsibility that came with his reign at the early age of 18.

He built three castles in his time and borrowed heavily to do so.

His family turned against him and at the age of 40 had him sent to an institution, declaring him to be mentally unstable.

He died two years later of unknown but suspicious circumstances.

In order to recover the debt incurred, the castle has been opened to the public since 1886.

The drive into the country makes us realise the German influence in our own home hills as we see many similar buildings.

After arriving at Fussen, we learn it is a 5km walk up to the castle, built high on the hill.

It is a 30 degree still day with not a breath of wind and the walk tests a few of our fellow travellers.

The inside was decorated from the Middle Ages, but has only ever been a special castle built for one person, thus the history just isn't there.

Disapointed with the inside, we head up the hill to a bridge, which will give us the best photo opportunity.

It's this view that has made this castle so famous and attracts more than 1.3 million visits a year.

Arriving back to Munich and it is still hot, but a lovely evening.

We have a quick shower and head out to our second beer garden.

Unlike the market beer garden, which was quaint, this one is huge.

I estimate well over a thousand people all sitting around, socialising and enjoying the warm summer evening.

The market beer garden had 500ml or 1 litre to choose, this garden only has the big stein, and everybody has one.

They are so busy here that a small truck collects the empties around drop off points, to take back through the washer.

Michelle try's a German shandy called a "Radler" and struggles thru it.

I estimate the locals would be about 70 percent of the crowd, as this is what they do on a balmy summers evening.

Watching a few tables, there are many clinking of steins whenever a new beer is brought to the table. "PROST"

Aside from a few tourists, no one is on iPads or phones, people are just enjoying the social aspect that these gardens bring.

We stay for a few hours and leave the huge crowd around 11pm, wondering what time they all go to?


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb