Day 46


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 3rd 2015
Published: July 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After noticing that Munich is a bike friendly city, we start our day hiring some bikes.

Another warm day around 34 degrees with overnight lows in the 20's, it never really cools down.

Not sure why, but we get two girls bikes? Maybe it was a silent message from the renter?

We discussed our plans and took on some local knowledge prior to departure.

We head down the busy streets, towards the river to follow the river bike track.

Passing the first of many beer gardens, there are a few punters partaking early.

The river path is an easy ride and the banks are scattered with people sun baking and cooling off.

Anywhere it changes from grass to pebbles is treated as a river beach.

After an hour or so we reach the "English Gardens" And head in for a ride around the many paths.

We come across what is known as the Chinese beer garden, due the the Chinese rotunda in the middle.

Stopped here for a refreshment, as the day is warming up considerably.

Continuing around the English gardens is easy riding with realxing waterways, lakes and shady trees.

After getting lost in here several times, we find a man made surfing wave, built into the fast flowing river.

I had seen a guy with a surfboard earlier in the day but didn't click that Munich is a long way from any beach.

It keeps the locals happy as they try their hand at staying in front of the wave.

Many other teens are jumping in upstream and floating down, enjoying the speed of the river.

Leaving the English gardens we are back out on the city streets and find it difficult to navigate, getting lost a bit more.

We find another beer garden just in time as my reserves are low.

After a nice break, we get directions and head back to drop the bikes off.

Home for a swim and head out to the famous Hofbrahouse beer hall for a German feed and a few more beers.

As the tables are communal, you have to sit where there is a spot and we keep getting stuck next to Germans who don't speak English.

Lucky tonight, as we meet a lovely American couple and spend a few hours exchanging travel stories.

Home by midnight and it is still 24 degrees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb