Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 1st 2013
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We got up bright and early and left Fussen to head to Munich. We were able to check into our hotel room right away and return our rental car. We headed straight to Marianplatz just before 11:00 am and we and we were able to hear the bells play songs and see the joust movement of the famous Glockenspiel in the new town hall. It was a really amazing thing to see! This performance only occurs three times a day, 11:00, 12:00 and 5:00 pm.

Next we climbed the narrow steps of St. Peter's Church which gave us a great view of Munich. Right across the street was Viktualienmarkt, an open air farmers market in the center of Munich. The venders are all small businesses and local farmers. We stopped for a quick lunch at the Beer Garden in the middle of the market. We really enjoyed spending time with locals!

Next we walked to around the pedestrian area of old city, this city is very walker friendly. We then decided to take a express bus tour to learn about some of the other sights we would not always notice or know to look for...we were able to get on and off the bus at many stops in the city. We got off at "the Resindenz" which is the palace of the Wittelbach's. We visited the palace and the treasury and saw hundreds of priceless items and beautiful architecture. Much of the building was damaged during WWII but the country has been restoring it for many years. We visited more than 90 rooms of this monstrous palace, We seriously got lost at one point. It was elaborate and overwhelming at the same time.

Our final stop for the night was Hofbrauhaus where we ordered traditional food and had two liters of beer. Live music played and we had a wonderful time, a perfect way to end our trip in Germany. Our train for Venice departs in the Morning. I think the wifi situation way be challenging once we arrive in Italy. We will try to post when possible!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb