Ratskeller


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 7th 2012
Published: August 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We finally came back to Munich at 19:30. We decided to have meal at Ratskeller of Neue Rathaus at Marienplatz. The restaurant signs were subtly indicated and it was a job to find the correct signposts within the courtyard.



“Ratskeller” has been introduced and recommended in various guidebooks of Munich, and we did find it a very good restaurant. We were invited to the very large former wine cellar rooms decorated in vaulted beams, fresco paintings, and a big wine barrel. It was very atmospheric and settled environment. All of the restaurant staff were polite, efficient, and they seemed to be used to having the people from all over the world. They had English menu books with pictures of individual dishes.



Mark had “schweinebraten”, which is roast pork with gravy served with bread dumpling, potato dumpling and coleslaw. I had “Entenbraten”, Bavarian roast Duck breast & leg, with red cabbage and potato dumpling. My parents had a sampler of sausages, i.e. Nürnberg Bratwurst, veal sausage of Wollwurst, smoked beef-Beeknack bratwurst, and schnapps bratwurst with sauerkraut, bacon, mashed potatoes and Caesar salad without chicken, (as my father is not keen on eating chicken).



My parents and I had beer. My parents were curious about “Pretzel” which was displayed in many bakeries, buffet tables, and snack bars. A basket of pretzels was displayed on the table but covered with the cloth, which made them even more intriguing. I said to them, “Pretzel bread is a typical Bavarian bread coated with salt and it encourages people to drink more beer, which is similar to ‘Edamame’, Japanese green beans. You can try one bite but do not eat too much before having main meal.” They have tasted it and found it very salty.

We enjoyed the meal at Ratskeller on 25 June. As we took of the pretzels, the waiter added it to the bill.





Ratskeller on 26 June



My father had lost his hat and asked his wife to look for it in the morning. They couldn’t find it in the morning. She was certain that he had left it at the Ratskeller. She drew the picture of the hat in her sketch book.







After coming back from Nürnberg, we went to the Ratskeller. My mother showed the sketch of my father’s hat to the staff. They said, “Oh, it’s a very good picture.” They kindly kept it. He was impressed and suggested we would have another meal.







I suggested my parents would have “schweinshaxe”, which is roast pork shank with crunchy crust and gravy with potato dumpling and red cabbage, which is a classical Bavarian meal. I also suggested them having “Munich side salad.”







I selected “beef goulash” and Mark ordered “veal wiener schnitzel”, both of which are typical Bavarian cuisine. My parents were truly satisfied with the taste of schweinshaxe, as they said that the meat had been well cooked and seasoned well with excellent sauce.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb