Party time in Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
June 19th 2006
Published: July 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Another warm morning and another early-ish wake up. Nat, Todd and I went down to breakfast while Adam stayed in. He got sunburnt from the game the day before! After breakfast, we all head to Marienplatz (city centre). Todd and I went to an Internet cafe while Nat & Adam went to the Tourist Information Centre to book some tours. Afterwards we all walked down the mall area, looked for Aussie supporter gear and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. Filled with soccer fans, they had plasmas everywhere showing the game. We enjoyed a huge meal before heading to Hofbrauhaus next door.

On entering Hofbrauhaus, you already knew it was filled with Aussies and Brazillians. There was a lot of yellow/gold and green about! People were enjoying 1L steins, singing, talking (shouting!) loudly and having a great time. We were lucky to find a table to ourselves and were served quickly. Todd and Adam indulged in a 1L beer and Nat and I with an apple juice and coke. Even they came in steins!

During our short but memorable stay we witnessed the Brazillians sing and dance with their drums (does every Brazillian own a drum??) and the Aussies start a congo line. The German band played Waltzing Matilda which of course resulted in the beautiful sounds of the Socceroo Supporters choir singing (err screaming)...as well as a lot of "Aussie Aussie Aussie" shouted throughout the beerhall.

After finishing our massive drinks we bought a few souvenirs and then walked back to the hotel. We were having a night in so Nat & Adam went in search for alcohol (Becks & Smirnoff Ices) and Todd & I looked for snacks (Pringles, Pretzels, chocolates, salsa). Maybe it was the area we were staying in (1km from Central station) but it was quite difficult to find a supermarket near us! We ended up with quite a junk food feast and enjoyed a beautiful night on our balcony watching the soccer on tv. The great thing about extremely hot days are the beautifully warm nights!

After the last game, our balcony party ended and we packed up all the nibblies. I had a big day ahead of me...the start of a 33 hour plane journey home to Australia!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb