Munich, Germany.... I have nothing witty to say


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
June 28th 2006
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So it took us about 7 hours to get here from Switzerland, and we didnt get in until 11 pm on Tuesday night. We were a little worried because I forgot to get directions to the hostel and to call them to let them know we would be late, otherwise they give away your beds, and that reception might be closed to we would have to sleep outside because we cant check in. Luckily everything worked out fine. Our hostel happened to be in my guide book, which also had directions, and reception was opened. They did give away our beds, but the place had cleared out after the game here in Munich was over a couple days ago, so there was plenty of room. This place is pretty interesting. Last night we stayed in the main tent (this is a campground by the way) which is just a big circus tent looking thing with a wooden floor. They give you a pad and three blankets and you park it anywhere you want. It seemed like a cool idea, but we both didnt sleep well so tonight we switched to the bed tent, which is the same thing but there are bunk beds everywhere. There´s a campfire everynight, a little place to eat, and ping pong tables, so its pretty cool. I guess the place was completely packed during the World Cup game on Saturday and people were sleeping on top of each other, but now it looks more like a ghost town, not very many people. Last night we just went straight to sleep, then today we took the tram back to the train station and explored Munich. The transportation situation here is the most confusing by far. You´ve got the bus, the tram, the S-bahn, and the U-bahn to choose from, seems like a lot of choices but that made it harder I think. Anyway, we went to Olympic Park, which we were told by a German girl we stayed with in Naples that this was where you could go to watch the World Cup games on a huge screen with a lot of people. Then we realized you had to pay to get in so.... scratch that. We took the subway to the City Center which was really nice. You cant drive through this part, and there are shops and places to eat everywhere, mixed with old buildings and fountains, it was a cool place to walk around. Also found another McDonalds.... but I just had a McFlurry, so thats not so bad right?? Also took another sleeping picture and some old guy started scolding me in German... he just doesnt see the big picture here. So after that we took the subway to the English Garden. This is one of the largest city parks in Europe, much like Balboa Park in San Diego, but it has streams and lakes all through it.... oh and beer gardens... I had to check that out. We laid by the stream for a while, and apparently its pretty koesher to sunbathe in the nude. There were quite a few people doing that, not a care in the world. Then they get up and hop in the stream, and then go on sunbathing again..... crazy. It was just weird because there are hundreds of people in this park, and families and stuff... I dont know, whatever..... crazy germans. After getting tired of naked-guy (that was his name, Im sure of it) across the stream, we checked out the nearest beer garden. There was a little german band playing in a tower above the beer garden and Heidi and I had some lunch... and I had my stein of beer. Then we headed back to the campground and read, played some ping pong.... took it easy once again. Switzerland was so refreshing because it was the first time where we didnt get to a place, then immediately have to figure out the transportation system, navigate, not understand the language... all that stuff. Now we are back into that and it took its toll on me today more than any other I think. Im pretty tired, but we only have a couple days left so Im trying to make the most of them. So anyway, that was all our time in Munich really. There wasnt much we were dying to see, and there arent any world cup games while we are here in Germany, pretty bummed about that!! But its a really nice, social city, if we had more time Im sure there is much more to see. I feel sorry for Munich really because it had to follow Switzerland on our trip and we just keep thinking about how much we want to go back. But as it is, we only have 4 days left and 3 more countries to see.... for those of you who thought it couldnt be done, we are so proving you wrong right now! On to the next!!

Advertisement



29th June 2006

Wish I was there
Hey Tara: Sounds like you're having a blast but getting little worn out. I guess that's to be expected. I had a dream that you were in last night.... something about being in an ancient castle, but can't remember more of the details. Baby is coming along well (I'm already 6 1/2 months believe it or not). Still no names. Have fun on the rest of your trip. Brandy

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb