Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
January 6th 2011
Published: January 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We do seem to chase the cold. It was -4 when we arrived in Munich on the 4th January, and after settling our things into the hotel we headed out for a walk through the old town.

The old town is just beautiful with some amazing looking buildings and churches. There were plenty of people in town, tourists and locals shopping. It just seemed to get colder and colder, and eventually the boys dragged us into a huge ski shop to warm up! We had dinner in a traditional bavarian resturant, lots of pork and sauerkraut, made a change from wurst and sauerkraut, I think I have definately had my fill of sauerkraut!

Yesterday we went on the U-bahn to the Deutsches Musuem, which is absolutely massive and contains the most amazing exhibits showing the development of science and technology through history.

Today we headed for Nymphenburg Palace, a baroque palace which was the summer palace of the ruling family of Bavaria and home of the current heir the Duke of Bavaria. We had a nice walk through the snow covered gardens, one thing we are missing is the gardens in all there splendor in these snowy landscapes.
KaristorKaristorKaristor

The old gateway
The boys weren't overly impressed with baroque, but at least they have seen one palace of that period, I think I would be hard pressed in convincing them to do another! It was great seeing lots of people having a good time on the frozen canal in front of the palace, a kind of ice bocce seemed really popular, and there were a number of small ice rinks cleared for little kids to skate and play hockey.

Looking forward to some warmer temperatures, they are forecast to head into positive numbers as we head for the ski fields around Innsbruck (it will probably still be cold in the alps!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

BurgersaalkircheBurgersaalkirche
Burgersaalkirche

Where Rupert Mayer SJ preached against Hitler
RahausRahaus
Rahaus

The old town hall
The old town hallThe old town hall
The old town hall

View from the St Peter's tower
A MasterpieceA Masterpiece
A Masterpiece

Actual equipment used to first demonstrate nuclear fission
Ceiling friezeCeiling frieze
Ceiling frieze

Main hall Nymphenburg Palace


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb