2011, New Year in Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
January 5th 2011
Published: January 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post


Happy New Year!!
Bonne Année
С Новым Годом
Gutes neues Jahr!
新年快乐 (but Chinese New Year isn’t until Feb 2-3)

Anyways, JFK airport was completely closed due to the sudden snowstorm that hit the eastern United States, so Mia had to come back to Germany earlier. We haven’t really done much sightseeing in Munich since she’s already seen it, but she got a Nikon DSLR for Christmas so we tried it out in a few areas. We’ve mostly been just hanging out and finding good places to eat. We tried the Hard Rock Café here in Munich and its really a breath of fresh air since I’ve been away from the US for so long. The water is free just like in the States and they do free refills too. It’s the most American place I’ve been to in Munich so far.

Last night was really cool, because in most of Europe the New Year is celebrated with fireworks. My room had a really cool view of them from all around the city so we got to see them without waiting outside in the freezing cold. I couldn’t get too many good pictures since I still don’t have a tripod yet, but they were really fun to watch in person. We also saw “The Tourist” last night in a cool little movie theater near the Deutsches Museum. We had planned on seeing it Thursday, but I guess we were so tired that we confused the time 20:40 for 10:40pm instead of 8:40, so we missed it. The good thing is that since we missed it Thursday, we headed back and stopped at a really awesome Chinese place called Wok n Roll. The name doesn’t sound like a legit Chinese place, but it was actually pretty close compared to others I’ve been to. We got a two-person dinner and it was set up Chinese style with different bowls and cups and we shared everything. It made me really miss China.

So we finally saw The Tourist and it was really good and also funny. I read the book last year and they completely changed the story, but they still pulled it off to make a good movie. Johnny Depp was really funny in it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb