Prost! (Cheers)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
October 6th 2009
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, where to begin... Germany honestly has been phenomenal. Every day there has been something new and different. Our trip began in Frankfurt, where we were welcome by Dirk and Philip (Megan’s friends whom she met in NZ). We had a great time visiting the old city (extremely small area as much of Frankfurt was bombed in WWII), drinking apple wine and going to a night club where we listened to a performance with the German Idol as the headliner. After a few days there we headed to Munich, which involved driving 220km/hr on the autobahn - I swear I thought I saw my life flash before my eyes on more than one occasion. Anyways, finally we were in Munich and you know what that means - OKTOBERFEST!!!!! Yup, we were fortunate enough to get tickets into a tent with 8 other German friends YAY! Needless to say there was a ton of beer drinking (out of 1 litre glasses), singing (even though we didn’t actually know any of the words, we pretended we did, or at some point we just thought we did…), and dancing on tables (I swear everyone did it!). Much of the night was kind of a blur, but what I do know is that it fully lived up to and exceeded all expectations. The next day we had a fabulous breakfast with all of our friends followed by relaxing in the sun at the English Gardens.
After spending all of this time with Megan’s friends we finally were able to impose ourselves upon one of my good friends Hannah (friend from Tasmania). For the week we were in Munich, Hannah’s house was our home base. We spent a day touring around Munich’s old town and learning about its history. We were able to catch a free tour, which was extremely informative and interesting. It turns out that much of Munich’s old city has been reconstructed after being bombed in WWII, we also learnt about the historical importance of beer for the city. Haha would you believe that at one point in history they tried putting out a fire with beer - it wasn’t that effective because as the beer was moved from the beer hall to the fire much of the beer disappeared - wonder where it went?!?! Additionally, we took a day trip to the royal castle Neuschwanstien. It was lovely taking the train through the German countryside and seeing all of the cute little villages and houses. The castle was gorgeous; it was easy to understand how it inspired the story of Sleeping Beauty.

We decide to take a day to visit Dachua, which was the first Nazi concentration camp built in Germany. It was a day of reflection and commemoration. We both felt that it was important visit while in the area, and took the memorial ‘never again’ to heart.

Currently we’re in Frieburg, which is in the Black Forest. The night which began with a full moon and us walking through the black forest with hawks screeching over head and somehow it took a huge turn when we crashed a 40th birthday party. Yup, our night began with us struggling in the night trying to find our hostel and end with us being invited to a birthday party - and yes it involved tons of food, desert, drinks and champagne. Got to love Frieburg! On a completely separate note, tomorrow Meg’s and I will temporarily be separating as I am booked to take some French class in the small French town of Annecy. Don’t worry; we plan on staying in close contact with one another.
-L



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Germany - FrankfurtGermany - Frankfurt
Germany - Frankfurt

Dirk and Phillip - early morning coffee
Germany - MunichGermany - Munich
Germany - Munich

Octoberfest! Inside our tent
OctoberfestOctoberfest
Octoberfest

Dirk and Raffa
OctoberfestOctoberfest
Octoberfest

1 liter beers
OctoberfestOctoberfest
Octoberfest

masive Pretzels!
OctoberfestOctoberfest
Octoberfest

1 (or 2) too many
OctoberfestOctoberfest
Octoberfest

making new friends
MunichMunich
Munich

Morning after with the crew
MunichMunich
Munich

nothing like a warm day, a lake, and Megan to row everyone around :)
MunichMunich
Munich

rowing...
MunichMunich
Munich

Break in the park


10th October 2009

yaaaaaaaay sounds like you girls are having a fantastically amazing time.. we miss you both!!! hopefully some day soon (ish) we can somehow meet up over there... anyyways hope you both are safe, talk to you later! xoxoxo joce
10th October 2009

fun!!
OMGGG you 2 are living the dream life this all sounds soo much! haha love the pics especially from oktoberfest!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb