ENTRY 16 -- The Putsch


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
March 1st 1987
Published: January 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

An Excerpt from the Travel Journal of Nigel Fox circa 1925




Entry 16 -- The Putsch



"As head of the Triumvirate, I am your true leader. In many influential circles there are those who believe that the restoration of a strong state will be sufficient. I say no, a thousand times no . . . "

The politician's speech droned on. He was totally unaware of the revolution that was unfolding around him. Oberland troops surrounded the hall and the auditorium itself was infiltrated. Many of the government security forces were loyal to the Kampfbund. Hans’ simple plan was working perfectly.

"Again I say no, a thousand times no. Even the strongest man empowered with the greatest authority cannot save the nation without the energy and enthusiasm of the people. Were we to attempt to lead . . . "

Three shots rang out. Uniformed Oberland troops moved swiftly, setting up machine guns aimed at the crowd and dignitaries. Fylfot banners were raised everywhere. The Leader of the Armanen, holding his pistol, mounted the stage and fired another two shots into the ceiling. There was total, shocked silence. He shouted triumphantly: "The National Revolution has begun! Six hundred well-armed men with rifles, machine guns and grenades have this hall covered and surrounded. Nobody is permitted to leave." Stunned silence continued as the Triumvirate stared in horror at the many weapons pointing in their direction.

"You know what the Party stands for. I have preached the glory of National Socialism all too long," he continued. Then, in a dramatic tone he stated, "To-day, I declare that the old government is deposed. A National Socialist government shall lead our Fatherland to the glory that once was ours and will be ours again."

Shouts of "Hail" and "Bravo" came from the crowd.

"The police and the army have joined our cause!"

Then he turned to the government officials and dignitaries and said, "Your Excellency and most honourable members. Please come with me; everything will be settled in a few minutes. I guarantee your safety."

Several leaders of the Armanenshaft led the Triumvirate into the side room. Hans and Rudy stood guard as the door to the chamber closed.


The Wolf had Won




The Wolf had won! He had the government under his control. Hans' hand gripped his revolver, knowing that he must use it. The Leader of the Armanenshaft appeared and addressed the crowd. "National Socialist comrades, five years ago our people were betrayed, plunging our poor, wretched nation into misery. To-day this terrible era has come to an end. A new government will be named to-night!"

The applause and cheering reached a fevered pitch. He continued, carefully, slowly, and articulately: "In the side room sits the old government. Can I tell them that you stand behind me and my new government and support my proposal?" The affirmative response was deafening. Rudy grinned at Hans and slapped him on the back over and over again. Inside the small room, the reluctant Triumvirate agreed to support the new Revolutionary Government of the Armanenshaft.

By now it was 9:30 p.m. About an hour had passed since the Oberland troops had seized the auditorium. The Triumvirate was escorted back to the stage where they publicly announced their support of the new National Government. A euphoric crowd cheered: "Long live National Socialism." Then they all stood to sing the national anthem.


A Propaganda March




For the new government the question now became what they should do next. It was the following morning. Hans suggested a propaganda march: "It will help crystallise support for our revolution."

The would-be dictator of the nation was oddly cool towards Hans. "We must go slowly. We have not the support that we need. Let us not fall victim to our own propaganda. Something is not right." As he voiced the last thought, he looked directly at Hans.

The Field Marshall, who was the new commander of the armed forces, commented, "We cannot sit around here and wait all day; we must act!"

Opposition was already forming against the new government. Two detachments of anti-government troops were marching towards the War Ministry. Their goal: to overthrow the Party. When word of this reached Kampfbund headquarters, the Field Marshall spoke icily, "We march."




A Shot Rang Out.




Hans estimated that there were close to four thousand Oberland troops falling into processional formation under the direction of the Field Marshall. They had been assembling on Rosenheimer Street for over an hour. The Kampfbund did not want bloodshed; their hope was that the units that opposed them would not fire on them, as their march was to be led by the Field Marshall himself, a national hero. Also, many of the opposing units had Kampfbund supporters in their ranks.

The Propaganda March began: flags, music, heroes of the Fatherland, and four thousand troops moved triumphantly to the city centre. Bystanders joined the marching columns, swelling the ranks to a number beyond Hans' ability to estimate. Kampfbund members felt their spirits rise as they received a glorious response from the streets. Fylfot banners hung from balconies. It was as if there was a great festival in the city. Again and again people spontaneously began to sing the National Anthem. As the procession reached City Hall, something odd happened. Instead of going straight ahead as everyone expected, that great Field Marshall of the last war ordered the marchers to turn right.

It occurred to Hans that the General might be making this move to lead the procession in the direction of the opposing units who were most sympathetic to the Kampfbund: these units would then see their national hero, hear the National Socialist Leader speak, and all resistance to the Kampfbund would disappear.

Hans could not allow this to happen. His skin felt cold and clammy under his clothing. As the two groups neared one another, he took his revolver, making his way to the back of the man he now believed to be Evil personified. He aimed his gun directly at the Beast's heart; the muzzle may have even been touching his coat. No one in the crowd seemed to notice his movements, so great was the excitement and euphoria. Hans pulled the trigger. A shot rang out.

What happened next was unclear. According to Hans, the bullet passed through his victim without injuring him. It was as if Hans had shot a ghost. A sergeant standing in the line of fire fell dead, apparently from Hans' bullet. The Leader of the Armanenschaft appeared unaware that a bullet had just passed through his heart. It was impossible. Hans was filled with a complete and overwhelming terror. He dropped the revolver and lost consciousness.


A Bloodbath




Hans awoke the next day in the hospital. He had sustained a head injury, apparently from being struck by a rifle butt. Quickly asking for a newspaper, he read with relief the news of the failed revolt.

According to the paper, at 12:45 p.m., November 9, there was a standoff between government and anti-government forces. At that moment a shot rang out. It killed Sergeant Friedrich Fink. Who fired the shot had not yet been clarified. Hundreds of witnesses were questioned: police, Reichswehr soldiers, bystanders, residents watching the scene from nearby buildings, marchers et cetera. Each told a different story. Many claimed that the fatal shot came from the direction of the Kampfbund's leader himself.

In any event the shot sparked a fire fight, resulting in a bloodbath. The Glorious Leader of the Armanen was the first to run through the panic-stricken mob. There was confusion and hysteria everywhere!


Not a Mortal Man




For these many months my dear friend Hans had been living under a most ponderous burden. Sitting in Sipho's chair, Hans silently clutched his knobkerrie. After some little time his lips began to move, saying, "He is not a mortal man; he is not human; he is the Antichrist!"

"Cheer up old boy," I admonished him over a glass of sherry. "I dare say what you experienced is real to you, but is rather the result of the concussion which you sustained. The truth is that many of the leaders of the Brotherhood were killed in the revolt. The rest, including your wretched Antichrist ran away! They have now been arrested and convicted of High Treason. Indeed they have all landed in gaol. As a force of evil or otherwise, these 'koo koos' have been totally discredited. Let us toast to the power of good over evil."

With that, we lifted our glasses and drank to the demise of the Brotherhood of the Armanen.

Advertisement



23rd May 2007

Skull and Bones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
see Skull and Bones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb