Munich and Fussen (Sleeping Beauty's Castle)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 5th 2008
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our train arrived in Munich at 2am. Marvin had arranged for us to stay with a friend of his that night. In the morning we checked into our hostel, locked our luggage, and headed to the city center. We had lunch at Donsil, a restaurant with nice outside tables. We split white sausages, a pretzel, roasted pork, and potato dumplings and topped it off with a cold beer. I am really enjoying the food in Germany! After lunch we took a 3 hour free walking tour of the city. My favorite part was watching the large cuckoo clock on the city hall. It’s the largest cuckoo clock in the world and three times a day it goes off for 15 minutes. We also went to the English Gardens and watched a few people surf on the wave at the river. Later that night we sat in the hostel talking to fellow travelers. It was interesting to hear where everyone had been and what they had been doing. We attempted to go to bed early, but as we were staying in a room with 40 beds with windows open to the other room with 40 beds it was impossible. All night long people walked through talking loudly. By the time we had to get up I was more than ready to leave that place!

On Tuesday, we visited the Neuschwanstein Castle, a beautiful castle in southern Germany that inspired Walt Disney’s sleeping beauty castle at Disneyland. I got some amazing pictures of the castle in the surrounding green landscape. We had a bit of time before we had to walk to the train station to catch our train to Frankfurt so we decided to take a swim in Alpsee lake. The water was cold, but after your body got used to it, it was rather refreshing. We arrived in Frankfurt later that night and were met at the train station by Angel and Sandra, a few of Chaz’s friends from when he was stationed in Germany.

Allison


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Surfer on the RiverSurfer on the River
Surfer on the River

People surfed on the river running through the English Gardens
SwimmingSwimming
Swimming

The water was freezing, but refreshing


14th August 2008

A couple of questions, if you have time.
Hi -- lloks like you're having a wonderful trip. Do you remember how long and steep your walk up to Neusch Castle was? Did you drive or walk to where you took the scaffolding pic? Also am curious about the lunch photos -- looks like a lot of photo, was that for 2 or 1? (And do remember about how much it cost? I'm still trying to figure out budgeting for upcoming trip). Thanks -- looking forward to more photos

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb