Munich Day 4/5


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 1st 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Travel Blog Day 12 Munich

Last day night in Munich was yesterday, I already updated on the castle, so I’ll just go to our simple night and make this one quick. We decided that on our last night we should head to the world famous Hofbrauhaus because we had only been there for very short periods of time on tours. We went and sat in the beergarden because inside was about 120 degrees, and well I’m uncomfortable at 70. Had a few brews, enjoyed some polka and some pretty tasty food… except for Josh. He ordered something called Bavarian meatloaf because he wanted to see what their meatloaf would be like. It came with a nice side of potato salad, but Bavarian meatloaf is essentially about 30 Vienna Sausages ground up and turned into a loaf…pretty awful and he didn’t eat too much of it… ended up swapping with Kyle for more potato salad. Now the real problem was when Kyle quickly downed the thing, I had to stop eating my own meal to stomach it.

But aside from that funny anecdote, it was just a good time, but the waiter kept giving us the opposite of what we wanted. We would order a dunkle beer (which is dark) and he’d bring their lager (which is light), and vice versa. The strange part is that we order beer in their language and Dunkle and Helles sound nothing alike, so either he just doesn’t care much or he loves to screw with Americans. No biggie, it was all good beer.

After that one we headed down to our favorite sports bar by our hotel and had a few with a Canadian sportswriter who is here just to watch the soccer games, but not cover them. He covers the Edmonton Oilers and their local CFL team, so we had a great time talking with him. Munich was fun, we made new friends every day, just a very friendly city, similar to the way Cologne was. I prefer the weather in Cologne, but I’d suggest if you ever make a visit yourself to make both cities a must.

We now are on the train to Salzburg to see the city of music. Traveling is starting to wear, it’s a lot of fun, but a big part of all of us wants to get to Croatia and spread out a bit. We are in single rooms there that are supposed to be bigger and can finally unpack and get some things done. Touring around has been a ton of fun though, but its been pretty tiring. One strange thing did just happen on the train though, a few people came by and a guy showed us an ID card that said he was Polizie (Police). We had no idea what he wanted, but I grabbed my passport and he looked approvingly. He ran them through a computer that the person accompanying him had and then handed them back. Did it to all 3 of ours, but not to the woman sitting next to us… no idea what he wanted or what he was looking for, but I think Kyle and I were looking at Josh wandering if he had gotten us into something while we were sleeping. All joking aside though, it was just weird, Germany is the only country in the civilized world where a police man can demand to see your papers without suspicion and you have to present them. Not sure why this is still the case, but it is.

That’s about it for today. We’re probably gonna hit the Mozart birthplace museum, the sound of music and the Eagle’s Nest (the one from Band of Brothers) while in Salzburg, but tonight is the Germany/Turkey match, and Salzburg was a host city, so they will have a massive setup. Should be a good time. Have a good one, hope it stopped raining there at some point.
Ryan


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb