Oktoberfest... close


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
September 30th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

I just about didnt go to this weekend and rushed out the door with Jamie and Craig to arrive to freezing cold and wet Munich conditions.
Our first night we didnt let our spirits get dampened and partied hardy at our expensive and out of town campsite, just to keep warm!
I had forgotten my sleeping bag but managed to beg and borrow a thin summer one off another friendly festival goer, which combined with all the clothes I brought and a large serving of alcohol provided an adequate nights sleep.

Our first day was most spent lieing in the cold and wet tent wishing I had stayed at home, but after dragging ourselves into town and wandering aimlessly around Ostbahnhof as agreed for a few hours we had a nice meal and caught a movie to ease the pain.

Saturday greeted us with the perfect weather and it was time to hit the beer tents (not so much tents as temporary warehouses)
BUT (and let this be a lesson to those yet to attend) we arrived at 10:30am (well before they even started serving beer) and there was not a seat to be found. No seat = no beer! Even a daring hobo raid into a locked (*ahem*) back door proved fruitless.
Oktoberfest defeat.

We found a nice little cafe nearby for a bite to eat in the sun that convieniently also served steins, our personal beer tent we thought!
A few of those led to a wander back through the festival and a ride on those spinning chairs for a great view over the city before heading back to our camping ground for more beer. Once it hits your lips its hard to stop! 6 litres later we were having a whale of a time, suitably finished off with a tent sacking and a tussle, as agreed.

At least I can say I've been, even if I didnt get to drink inside one of the fabled beer tents, and there's always next year if my liver will let me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb