Bavaria 2023. D14


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Kastl
June 19th 2023
Published: June 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Bavaria Day 14
Regensburg was very busy yesterday and as we rode through this morning it was very quiet with cleaning up going on. A good breakfast at the Am Peterstor hotel which set us up for another day’s cycling on a warm day with a bit of light rain late morning, after our coffee and cake in Kallmunz, which made us put on our train jackets. The scenery and terrain was much different today with some small hills, much more tarmac and good cafes. We passed several sawmills with no one working and a few farmers strawing out their hay and straw in the fields ready for baling. No punctures today since the gravel roads were few and not too long, thankfully. We came across a few old tractors at a small outdoor museum along with a steam engine and threshing machines. A small Fendt twin cylinder tractor was spotted outside the Hohengurg shop where we stopped for a drink and a cake. A bit different to the massive Fendt tractors that we see in the UK. In the afternoon we travelled along the edge of a forest for 30k which had signs saying, ’CAUTION DANGER OF LIFE’ due to it being a military training area. I think it should have said ,DANGER OF DEATH’. As if life was a danger. However, alongside the forests were hunting cabins so if the army didn’t shoot you the hunters would. Along the river Naab we spied a tower with a flood height scale alongside giving the levels over the years. The highest was 7 metres in 1907 and the latest flood was in 2002 being 5 1/2 metres and nothing since. Where is this weather crisis? Some canoeing was seen on the river and a parked up dragon boat awaiting some brave strong souls to get it racing. Our destination at Kastl is a small town of 2,500 plus us Englanders. It has an old monastery in the form of Kastl Abbey on the hilltop which dates back to the 11th century and now hosts a church and several restoration projects. Outside the castle, which is now the town hall there is another maypole and a village well with very nice brass sculptures of the local trades. The Gut Hotel Forsthof is very nice with excellent food. Well recommended.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb