26 Dec. Boxing Day...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
December 26th 2010
Published: March 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Along the Plansee 13 secs
This is the day we went to the Royal Castles of Bavaria. First stop was at the castle of Linderhof, near Oberammergau. We had to walk about 400m from the coach park, through the castle grounds to the small castle built by "Mad" King Ludwig II of Bavaria. I was surprised by the crowds already here at 10.55am. As the tours are "controlled" guided tours - we had to wait about 15 minutes before our grouyp was allowed to enter (it was unusual for the German "system" to be running late!). It's only a short tour of the castle - about 30 minutes - because it is the smalled of those built, and we only get to see around 8 rooms. Due to the fact it's winter - several other attractions such as the Moorish Kiosk and the Grotto are closed....so it was back to the coach and onwards to our next stop - Hohenschwangau - site of 2 more castles conencted to the King. It was a beautiful drive back into Austria, following the banks of the Plansee, until we had to then enter back into Germany and find our selves at the castles. Hohenschwangau is where Ludwig was born, and ascended to the throne at 19+ years. Whilst living here he started the builing of his Neuschwanstein Castle, mainly as a tribute to the composer Richard Wagner - who the King adored. It was quite crowded here..and the only ways to get up to the castle of Neuschwanstein is walking, or by carriage (and the queue for this was abour 100 persons!!). All the gang decided just to find a nice table at the restaurant in Hotel Mueller, enjoy a meal, take photos of both castles, and walk to the nearby (frozen) lake. After a relaxing afternoon we headed back to Seefeld. Another great day filled with spectacular scenery!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb