No wonder it inspired Disney...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
December 27th 2007
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Arabba-Fussen-Mannheim

Green: Arabba Yellow: Fussen Red: Mannheim

Matt at NeuschwansteinMatt at NeuschwansteinMatt at Neuschwanstein

Waiting for the tour to start
Dan and Ali came back to Germany with us from Arabba so on the way home we stopped and did some sightseeing. We stopped in Fussen to see Castle Neuschwanstein, which was actually the inspiration for the Cinderella Castle at Disneyland. It's absolutely incredible and is exactly what you think of when you picture a fairytale castle. The castle was built by King Ludwig II and wasn't begun until 1969. It took them 17 years to construct it and it was actually never finished because Ludwig was declared insane and died before he could complete it. The castle was meant as a dedication to the works of the composer, Richard Wagner, and his operas.

We decided not to pay the 5 Euros per person to take the horse and carriage ride up to the castle and instead walked the 20 minutes up to it. The tour was short, because not many rooms have been finished and never will be, actually, but the rooms that we did get to see were breathtaking. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures of the interior but you can probably find some online if you're interested in seeing what it all looks like. There are swans all over the interior and it's actually called the Castle of the Swan Knight in reference to the opera Lohengrin (one of Wagners...I got that little bit of information off Wikipedia.

There was a restaurant outside of the castle so Ali and I ducked in to get a table while Matt and Dan ran off to get some pictures of the outside of the castle. There was a bridge a few minutes away that was blocked off because of the ice and snow but the boys, as well as lots of other people, climbed around the barrier and took pictures from the bridge anyways. They're stunning pictures and I'm glad they broke the rules and took them. We had a nice dinner then hiked back down to the car and continued home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

A view from the castleA view from the castle
A view from the castle

Ludwig sure knew what he was about when he chose this spot for the castle's location. How's that for a view????
NeuschwansteinNeuschwanstein
Neuschwanstein

One word...WOW


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb