learning the language


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Dinkelsbühl
June 26th 2010
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DinkelsbuhlDinkelsbuhlDinkelsbuhl

Our hotel in Dinkelsbuhl
out cold by 9:45pm last night - it was still light out. One of the things we were going to do here is observe the night crier - apparently the tradition is that some costumed guy blows a horn to warn people that nght is coming (?? do they have to be warned??) and they've been doing it for hundreds of years. missed it. stupid chinese buffet.

now that it's almost over, i'm getting really good at figuring out the most efficient and inexpensive ways to get around. If all goes according to my now-expert planning, the least amount of time we'll be on a train/bus today is 3 hours 15 minutes. uh huh, we'll see.

today: Dinkelsbuhl till noon, arrive by bus/train at 2 in Schwabisch Hall (a super steep town on the river with, my heels and legs will be singing joyfully) lv there at 5 by train to mannheim, arriving at 7:22pm.

i was complaining yesterday about my muffin top and my sweet husband said, "sweetie, it's not anywhere near as bad as the ones we've seen here." such a way with words 😊 He meant well, he really did, so I smiled "great, thanks babe."

so i've constantly got german words in my head: eins fei drei (clearly i have no clue how to spell these), then i get stuck so i make it up: eins fei drei, stinkel heffen zei - that's me counting/singing to six. i also swear when i hear people talk i hear them saying Heil Hitler and the terrets in me then has to say it out loud too - but out of earshot of others, of course. (and you're probably saying it loud now too.....) Jeremy lovingly calls me schnitzenbeagle and the other german "word" that often comes to his mind is schwebel goetz and sieben. We're fitting right in.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb