weary


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Dinkelsbühl
June 25th 2010
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Is it possible to be nearing enough of cute little germanic towns? quite.

R was an incredibly perfect amazing town - just like a hollywood movie set. I kept taking all these pictures of street shots because I couldn't get over it. The church is huge. We climbed up the tower in the smallest steepest stairway i've ever imagined. We went through the Kriminal museum which showcased all the different ways they used to torture people in medieval times - and for the smallest of crimes. There were lots of special devices for women for doing things such as gossiping or bickering with their husbands - like shame masks, "violins" which held their heads and hands up and they weren't let go until peace had been restored. Yikes. If you missed church or drank too much you'd be forced to stand in the pillory in the middle of town to be ridiculed. and some really really creepy tortury things.

we had our fill of R and decided it was time to move on to Dinkelsbuhl - via a bus, 45 minutes away through very very rural towns. shockingly, Jeremy slept the whole way (??) and the farther we get away the more i'm stressting about the ride back to where we need to be -- i'm transportationed out and am becoming a little weary -- my heels have cracks in them from walking so much and on top of it i'm sure i've gained weight not lost it.

Speaking of...i've never been so excited about a plate of cheese as i was today. We went and sat at an outdoor cafe in one of the most comfortable little booths ever, had a hefeweisen and ordered "the big cheese" ---oh my yumminess, bread, 5 different types of cheese and this jam/horseradish tasting stuff - it was heavenly. and because we can't eat enough...we went to a chinese buffet after that. yes, a chinese buffet and it about did me in, ugh, grrross. That was about an hour ago and i'm still recovering although i managed to partake in a piece of chocolate from the mini bar so i must be on the mend.

I made a few MTT phone calls and now we're just hanging out in the room -- for which we paid only 38e, about the same as the cab ride earlier today.

considered going
CathedralCathedralCathedral

to give an idea of the size of this thing, that's me sitting on the bench in front.
to Dachau tomorrow but it's another 4 hour train ride and I can't do it. maybe next time. Now i need to figure out tomorrow's plan -- please oh please let wherever it be be an easy peasy straight shot.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

hard to tellhard to tell
hard to tell

He's not from here
climbing the towerclimbing the tower
climbing the tower

this was halfway up, it gets narrower as you go up, at the top you can barely fit.
ViewView
View

From the top of the tower
DungeonDungeon
Dungeon

this is a real live dungeon - it was used in the 1300/1400s as a prison and in WWII as a shelter during air raids
Prison cellPrison cell
Prison cell

One of the prison cells, the mayor of R died here in 1408.
he eatshe eats
he eats

-- a lot.
and he sleepsand he sleeps
and he sleeps

a lot. seriously.
The cheese plateThe cheese plate
The cheese plate

this cannot be appreciated by the picture. trust me.
leaving Rleaving R
leaving R

heading to the bus station


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb