Dachau and Saltzburg, Austria


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Dachau
September 7th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Train tracksTrain tracksTrain tracks

Where the prisoners were brought in
Today was definitely an emotional day. We left Munich in the morning and headed towards Saltzburg, Austria and on the way we stopped at Dachau. Dachau was the first concentration camp set up by the Nazis, and it was a model for all of the other concentration camps, and it was also the last one to be liberated by the Allies. I really can't say much about it because I wouldn't be able to put into words the atrocities that occurred there.





On a happier note, we traveled from Germany to Austria today. The ride was beautiful; about 2 hours in, we could see the Alps all around us. While Munich was a great city, it isn't in my top 5 or so favorite cities, but Saltzburg certainly is! It reminds me so much of Caen, the city I lived in in France. We arrived here around 2pm, and it was absolutely pouring out. The rain did not stop all day. Kara and I ventured out, however. We walked along the river and found a cute little cafe where we had coffee and food. An Austrian from a store we went into said that tomorrow is supposed to be a much nicer day, so I can't wait to bust out the camera! This city is completely surrounded by the Alps, and the buildings are so quaint. There is an awesome castle on top of one of the mountains, and we can see it from our bathroom window! I'll have to upload some pictures tomorrow. Apparently we're going to see a concert in the castle, and it's a 45 minute walk up the mountain. I think we're also going on the Sound of Music tour. Exciting!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

BunkersBunkers
Bunkers

The outlined rows were where the bunkers used to stand. There were so many of them. In the beginning of the war, there were 200 people per bunker, at the end there were 2,000.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb