Lake Chiemsee


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bernau am Chiemsee
August 5th 1978
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bob and Linda at the ARFC resort on Lake ChiemseeBob and Linda at the ARFC resort on Lake ChiemseeBob and Linda at the ARFC resort on Lake Chiemsee

Former Nazi resort...statue is typical of that era
In August 1978 I had another business trip to a conference with the German Ministry of Defense officials at the Armed Forces Recreation Center on the southern shore of Lake Chiemsee. This was one of many former Nazi resorts taken over by U.S. forces.

Again, during the day I had meetings, but afterwards Rich (a colleague who would also become a lifelong friend along with his wife Judy), Linda and I would tour the countryside between the lake and the German Alps. We would find a nice restaurant during our travels, and enjoy delicious schnitzel, sauerbraten, strudel and beer.

On another day we took a boat out to Herrenchiemsee Island to see King Ludwig II castle by the same name. The castle was modeled upon King Loius XIV's Versailles.

Our conference was cut short because our guests didn’t appreciate the poor accommodations, which I don’t blame them for. The resort subsequently went through a major renovation.

We would return often to Lake Chiemsee, including August 1987 where I took a learn to sail week. Our instructor was a twenty year old girl from California. Her qualifications were that she and her family had sailed around the world in their 60 foot yacht. She said that one day her dad came home from work and told everyone that he had sold the house and bought the yacht, and the whole family was going to sail around the world. It was good that they took a practice run down to Baja. They weighed anchor and took their dinghy to shore where they had dinner. Looking out to thier yacht they noticed that their achor had come loose and was dragging the lines of the other boats across the harbor. During their trip that had another incident when they departed port and hoisted their sails. Upon leaving the lee of the island the winds knocked their yacht on its side.

We learned a lot from her. One day we sailed out to Herrenchiemsee island for lunch. After lunch the wind died down to nothing. We took all afternoon to paddle our way back to port. The last day we had a race against the other sailboats. Our team won.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb