Fall Retreat at Berchtesgaden and Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
October 13th 1978
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In October 1978 Linda and Bob attended a weekend church retreat with Steve and Kay and their boys in Berchtesgaden, in the German Alps just across the border from Salzburg, Austria.

We stayed at another AFRC resort, the General Walker Hotel, which was used by Hitler’s elite guard force when he stayed here. We took a tour of the bunkers under the hotel.

We also explored the surrounding countryside, to include the salt mines, the Ramsau church, and the Konigseesee, where we took an electric boat to an onion domed chapel on the far end. The mountains were those seen in the opening scene of the “Sound of Music,” and were just so beautiful with the first snowfall of the season.

We also went to Salzburg to see where the "Sound of Music" was filmed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



16th March 2021

we worked there in 1973
myself and my now wife, and my brother worked/played as entertainers in the Walker hotel for 2 months, 1973 we had a fabulous time , as this was the americans who were based in Germany holiday place, we have very fond memories and photos of our american friends ,Salzburg,The salt mines ,and Konigsee, nice to see somebody else enjoyed their trip there :)
16th March 2021
Berchtesgadenhof Hotel in Berchtesgaden

we worked there in 1973 update
hi, just to clear a little note: this photo is of berchtesgarten hof, not General walker hotel, that was up in the mountains, where Hitler had had his summer vacations, we actualy played on the same stage where hilter spoke..glad you had a nice time there too.
17th March 2021
Berchtesgadenhof Hotel in Berchtesgaden

Bercgtesgaden Hof...
You a right. The name is on the hotel! We've also stayed at the General Walker Hotel and toured the tunnels underneath. We miss those days!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0969s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb