A day in the maze


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg
November 26th 2017
Published: November 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Following a day of losing our bearings and finding ourselves all walking down small back lanes and alleyways, leading back to where we were five minutes previously, we all started believing that we truly had a grasp of how to travel around the town of Tuebingen, without finding ourselves back where we had started. We did not realise how wrong we were until we met our tour guide. She had an extensive knowledge of the town and its history as well as the best places to snap a picture for the maze that we had found ourselves lost in amongst many times throughout the day. Our eyes were opened to the amount of places that we had not discovered ourselves with no knowledge of the area. Taking us up to the castle looking down on the rest of our two week home gave us a great perspective on the wrong turns we had made a few hours previously" as well as its similarities to the city of Durham. Being at this vantage point with the expertise of a local had clearly pointed out the parallels with Tuebingen and our home town. A university town built around the various different university cultures and traditions from fraternities and a lot of involvement around the river running through the town truly made us feel as though we were at home. It was almost possible to believe that we were at home with our surroundings, with help from acceptant locals with a very warm and welcoming presence it was easy to see that Durham's twin city is a welcoming place with plenty to offer to students, locals and tourists alike. Following on from an extensive description of the origins of various different schools within the university, as well as welcoming people, always keen to offer a helping hand in pointing out things previously unnoticed by our group, we were made to feel immediately included in the workings of the town. Our initial explorations, going hand in hand with a curiosity to explore, in depth, the inner workings of the city, had given us a hunger and anticipation to find out how Tübingen operated with the constant shipping around of university students and tourists alike. Surely our following day was likely to open our eyes to what is involved with such a large scale operation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb