Auf Wiedersehen Tübingen war eine tolle Zeit


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Tübingen
December 9th 2017
Published: December 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

So the placement comes to an end and the journey home starts, all the group have had a fantastic time but agree they are all ready to see family and friends and enjoy some home comforts.

Its been an amazing experience both personally and professionally for everyone involved and we all feel like we have not just established some excellent working relationships but also made some friends for life - some of the group have even mentioned coming back over on holiday maybe in the summer months to enjoy some of the summer activities that this place has to offer.

The weather has been as expected in Europe in Nov/Dec but its given us the chance to experience some things that wouldn't be taking place normally especially the chocolART festival, the twinned photography exhibition and the authentic German Christmas market which had to be seen to be believed.

We will miss many things about the place and its wonderful culture but not sure if I can take many more buffet breakfasts as need to fit back into the trousers for the return to work on Monday.

The group have provided a brief summary of their experiences:

Jack - its been a first being away from home and living independently and I have acquired some essential life skills that will help me in the coming years, I have learnt how to mange my money and look after myself. Its been a fantastic experience which I have coped with well feeling safe at all times. This has made me more confident in travelling and has increased my self confidence around people I do not know.

The group have some concerns that Jack has a dependency on bourbons and cola and as he has ran out over the last few days they are concerned he might be found wondering aimlessly around the streets looking for his next fix.

Ellis - I feel like I have improved my time management skills through this trip and have enjoyed the whole experience immensely, especially investing in the local economy and sampling some of the local delights.

The group are pleased Ellis seems to have made a full recovery from Week 1 when it must have been something he had 'eaten' the night before which meant when they went bowling with the Tubingen apprentices he struggled to release the bowling ball in time and followed it down the alley followed quickly by a visit to the bin to bring up whatever didnt agree with him from the night before.

Emma - I have enjoyed the independent nature of the trip enjoying some of the local cultural activities and hiking up some of the local hills to get the full view of the area. I really enjoyed working with the Tubingen apprentices.

The group were impressed with how independent Emma has been and how she just got on with the things she wanted to do that maybe the rest of the group weren't that interested in and Emma's work ethic has been top notch throughout - even offering to return in the afternoon to help the apprentice she was shadowing.

Bethany - I have really enjoyed the interaction with people from all different backgrounds and job roles, the different ways of working have been really interesting. My organisational skills have improved and I have developed more time management skills that will benefit me both professionally and personally.

The group are hoping to try and help Bethany with her fear of birds which has made from some uncomfortable moments during the placement - especially the indoor pigeons that seemed to be following her when we were in Stuttgart Train station.

Thomas - I found some of the topics that are not normally my area of work interesting especially the traffic side and that has helped me have a greater understanding of the full impact some of the work we undertake as a Council has to the wider community.

The group have been amazed at the eating capacity of Thomas and feel like he could have a future career in a professional eating environment its amazing he is so slim. They do have a few concerns about his open nature as he has a tendency to leave his key on the outside of the door which maybe reflects his friendly nature they were just pleased there we no fruit bowls in the hotel.

I have been immensely impressed with the group they have represented the Council to a very high level and been involved and engaging throughout, they should be very proud of themselves and are a credit to the Authority.

What a great way to end with an excellent presentation to our hosts covering some very interested facts and comparisons between our 2 authorities, with their friendly and polite nature they have bonded with not just the Tubingen apprentices but all of the officers we have been in contact with during our stay - a massive thanks goes to them for making the placement a success.

The programme has really worked well this year with a good combination of informative sessions and time for the group to carry out their own research to gather first hand how some of the functions in the town operate and what works well and what could maybe improve for visitors to this area.

The programme success is down to Brian and Stephan as without all their hard work and planning it would not have been as enjoyable so thank you for all the work you both put it is is truly appreciated.

The journey home starts now and we eagerly await what fantastic weather we will be returning to - tough decision on whether or not to wear the shorts for the journey (maybe another type of short might be more suitable)

Danke Tubingen hope to see you again soon!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb