game night


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Mannheim
June 24th 2010
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

People can drink publicly, I knew that, but it's still weird to see it. People by themselves and in groups, on the bus, hanging out on the corner, walking around town with their country colors and get ups on and their beers in hand. Kinda like how it used to be at Grand Ol' Day when folks could walk through the streets with a drink. very festive. But it wasn't as mayhemic as I anticipated - until after.

I had a hankering for some schnitzle, spatzle and hefeweisen and we found a great little spot right across from a cafe that was showing the game. Not that we cared but we were trying to care. J got the schnitzle "vienna style" -- these are not light meals, mine even had a big dollup of super sweet whipped cream on the side just in case.

As predicted, we didn't mke it to the end of the game -- geez soccer is tough to watch, especially when it's not in your own language. The announcers would say something and the whole crowd would start laughing and we'd just be sitting there, eyeballing each other. So about 4 minutes after we left
Jer "I ordered us an app."Jer "I ordered us an app."Jer "I ordered us an app."

The menu said "Grilled pepperoni with garlic cream sauce." What is hilarious about this is that he HATES peppers so you can imagine our surprise when this showed up. Seems they meant to say "pepperoncini". Minor difference.
the restaurant as we were walking back to the hotel Germany scored and it was like hearing the cheering in stereo - you could hear little pockets all over the place cheering.

As soon as we got back, about 20 minutes later, the game ended and the Germans beat the Ghanians and THAT's when the mayhem ensued. OMG. I kept taking little snippets of video just to capture the sound because it kept getting louder and louder. Fireworks, the trains were even getting into the fun as they'd pass through with the horn blowing the entire time, people were singing, car horns and people horns were blowing - craziness and SO loud. And Jeremy was asleep before his head hit the pillow. I was astounded -- he was seriously snoring and the city was crashing down around us.

It's 7:15 a.m., he's at his last workout now, i'm going to start packing up the hotel (it looks like a tornado came through here) and pare down my stuff to the bare minimum for the next 3.5 days. We both agreed that the laptop is coming with us, him because he decompresses with youtube and me cuz i like
The gameThe gameThe game

Our view of the game
writing these stupid little things.

I'm pretty excited for our last few days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

On the lighter side...On the lighter side...
On the lighter side...

Hard to tell but there is schnitzel under that lake of gravy. And there is that big dollup of sweet cream.
Awesome pillowsAwesome pillows
Awesome pillows

how great are these pillows?? Big square softies.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb