Paul loves baseball, Germany loves Bio


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Mannheim
October 4th 2008
Published: October 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When Germany gets behind something, it gets behind something. Bio (the German buzz word for organic) sells Bio everywhere. There are bio stores, bio sections in the supermarket, and even bio restaurants. The Germans are sticklers for organization. Every trash barrel has a place for regular trash (Restmüle), bottles, and paper.
It´s funny but in 1997, they claimed they were phasing out smoking in public places but I didn´t think it would be a reality. Only just recently has the idea of going to the gym become popular. They eat a lot of cheese, bread, and drink a lot. So why should the life expectancy be longer than ours? (The average German woman lives into her early 80s).
The biggest difference is what goes in their stomachs. While preservative free seems to be a fad in California, here it has always been a way of life. The frozen section is dwarfed. Be prepared to take a long time for grocery shopping. If you want bread, you go to a baker. You can buy vegitables at a grocery store but why do that when across the street is a vegitable stand. Most things are local.
It is a good idea to do your homework and find what is local and available.
What has been the most interesting to see is the ammount of bikers. I knew to expect bikes everywhere but I did not have any idea that I would see 90 women zipping past me on a bike while holding a huge bag of bread.
While writing this, I just watched the Angels choke again! It is so bizarre to think the Sox could meet the D Rays in the ALCS! Once upon a time, rays/sox tickets were the only ones available for sale during the regular season.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb