Tarascon and Beaucaire Castles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 6th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tarascon CastleTarascon CastleTarascon Castle

Photo taken from the bridge separating Beaucaire and Tarascon.
Geo: 43.808, 4.66217

Today was a quieter day, with the focus being on visiting the two castles within walking distance of our flat.

Beaucaire is located on the Rhone River, and to start the day we walked across the bridge to visit the castle at Tarascon. The location of the castle in Tarascon had since 843 AD been a place of strategic importance, housing a series of fortifications. Louis III commenced construction of the current castle in 1400 AD. In subsequent centuries it served as a Mint and a Prison. The castle is both a fortress and a palace, although it is not furnished in the manner of some of the palaces and chateaus we have visited.

It was a very interesting castle to visit.

After visiting the castle, we went to our favourite French Restaurant in Tarascon for lunch.

We walked back to the flat for a cool drink and a rest, and then walked up the hill to visit Beaucaire Castle. Unfortunately, we arrived just as the castle was closing, but we were still able to get a lot of photos of the castle and gardens. Beaucaire Castle is unusual in that it has a triangular tower overlooking the inner
Beaucaire Castle Beaucaire Castle Beaucaire Castle

Looking back to Beaucaire Castle from Tarascon Castle.
castle area.

Tomorrow we are off to Cassis on the Mediterannean Coast for a swim and possibly a paddle in a sea kayak. Looking forward to cooling off in the sea after the hot weather we have been experiencing.

Jim and Kim







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Our Flat in Beaucaire Our Flat in Beaucaire
Our Flat in Beaucaire

Looking back across the Rhone River from the top of Tarascon castle to our flat in Beaucaire (our flat is the one in the middle of the photo, the lowest of the two arches).
Gargoyle on Tarascon Castle Gargoyle on Tarascon Castle
Gargoyle on Tarascon Castle

One of the many gargoyles that adorn the castle. Gargoyles serve two purposes:- firstly to drain water from the rooftops (note the drain on top of the gargoyle) and away from the castle walls to avoid erosion of the walls. Secondly, they acted as shields to keep away evil, which is why they are often grotesque in design.
El TarasqueEl Tarasque
El Tarasque

This is the "beast" supposedly slain by St Martha in Tarascon, that lived in the Rhone River and regularly devoured inhabitants of the villages located on the Rhone.


Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb