Le Mediterranean


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 7th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Village of CassisThe Village of CassisThe Village of Cassis

A postcard picture.
Geo: 43.216, 5.53863

With all the beautiful sunny weather we have been having, it was time to head for the ocean, to see if the Mediterranean really was blue in colour. It was.

We decided to go to Cassis, a little town near Marseilles. It was one of those post card Mediterranean villages, which you will see from the photos.

Our first activity was to take a boat cruise to see the Calanques, a series of white cliffs and secluded inlets that Cassis is famous for. The cruise took one and a half hours and was great. The water was as blue as blue.

After the cruise, we walked around the town and had some lunch. The water was too tempting so we went back to the car and changed for a swim. The water was just a perfect temperature, refreshing when you first jumped in, then just perfect. Probably around 23 degrees.

We had bought a mask and snorkel in our walk around the town, and took turns in diving down to see the fish and sea creatures. The water was clear as.

After our swim we had a coffee and headed back to the car to do some sightseeing around
Cliffs near CassisCliffs near CassisCliffs near Cassis

Captured on our boat cruise of the Calanques.
the hills above the town. Unfortunately, it was now late afternoon, and the views were a little hazy.

We decided to take the road to Marseilles, as it appeared to follow the coast and we thought we might get some good views of the coast. Bad mistake.

We ended up getting trapped in grid lock traffic in Marseilles for an hour, with the road tunnel closed, cars and motor bikes were only able to inch forward. It was a little stressful trying to force our way through the traffic, whilst trying to protect the hire car.

But we made it home ok, albeit a little delayed.

Of to Nimes tomorrow.

Au revoir.

Jim and Kim






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A View of the Blue Mediterranean A View of the Blue Mediterranean
A View of the Blue Mediterranean

Taken from the boat cruise.
One of the many CalanquesOne of the many Calanques
One of the many Calanques

A calanque is a flooded inlet, with steep rocky walls that is navigable. You can see the beach at the end of the, that is accessible only by boat or steep mountain track.
Beach at CassisBeach at Cassis
Beach at Cassis

The beautiful beach at Cassis where we had a swim. We snorkelled and swam right in this corner along the rocks.


13th July 2011

This is just spectatular. Gald you are enjoying great sunny, hot, swimming weather, while we are freezing all rugged up and we are inside.

Tot: 0.706s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb