Loire Valley - Day 1


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 25th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Clock Tower in Amboise The Clock Tower in Amboise The Clock Tower in Amboise

The bells ring out the time faithfully every hour.
Geo: 47.4104, 0.981122

Up early to pack up and leave for Amboise, located in the Loire Valley. About a three hour trip.

Picked up our mini bus from the Charles de Gaulle Airport. Darrol is driving, with Liz navigating. A little scary driving on the wrong side of the road. I am listed as the alternate driver.

The Loire Valley is the home of "Chateaus", with around sixty chateaus in the area, mostly fronting the wide rivers that flow through the valley. A chateau is a small castle built for french royalty or elite.

The town of Amboise is an ancient town located right on the Loire River, with a chateau overlooking the the town. It is the town of Leonardo Da Vinci, who the King of France brought to France to work for him, and Leonardo is buried in the Castle.

After arriving and settling in to our motel, La Breche, we walked through the town and took some photos.

Jim and Kim.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Amboise ChateauAmboise Chateau
Amboise Chateau

The chateau is reflected in the waters of the Loire River.
Bridge over the Loire River at AmboiseBridge over the Loire River at Amboise
Bridge over the Loire River at Amboise

The bridge was bombed during the second world war by the Allies due to german occupation of the area.
Town Square in AmboiseTown Square in Amboise
Town Square in Amboise

The main square in the town, looking across to the Chocalatier.


Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb