Wine country


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 21st 2016
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.8833, -0.15

We woke up to another overcast day here. Today we are off to the medieval village of Saint Emilion perched above vineyards known for producing one of the principal red wines in Bordeaux. The Romans first planted vineyards in this area as early as the 2nd century. Saint Emilion is a picturesque little village with limestone buildings, and the steep narrow streets are lined with over fifty wine shops.

We first visited the 13th century King's Tower and climbed the 118 steps to enjoy the views of the town and Dordogne Valley. We wandered through the streets looking for a place to enjoy a cafe. Then we walked through a domed Romanesque 12th century church and its cloister, before heading out for a late lunch and a glass of Bordeaux wine. Saint Emilion is a lovely spot and we plan to return again before leaving this area.

Jim drove us through miles of vineyards entering and leaving Saint Emilion. The whole area around Saint Emilion is devoted to wine growing. Driving the back roads here you can see lovely old chateaus and castles.

This evening we barbecued a lovely meal and enjoyed a delicious bottle of wine. After dinner we walk into the local village area. There is one bakery and a restaurant only open on weekends. We also saw a big tree with some type of fruit growing on it and a beautiful magnolia tree in bloom.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb