Today we checked two Cathar Castles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 10th 2016
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.8512, 2.60354

Today we headed out to explore a remote and beautiful region of France with historical castles. We visited two castle perched on seemingly inaccessible summits. They were originally built as defences against the Spanish, and the castles sheltered the Cathars in the 13th century.

We enjoyed a lovely picnic lunch before starting our hike up to the first castle called Queribus. Queribus is perched on a peak at a height of 2,388 ft., and offers spectacular views. The castle is well preserved with stairways, tunnels, dungeons and vaulted central hall. We were amazed at the fabulous views. We could even see the far peaks of the Pyrenees.

From Queribus we hiked back to our car and continued our drive to Peyrepertuse Castle across the valley. This castle is at the height of 2,625 ft, rising out of a craggy barrier of rock. It is a formidable fortress, with two towers, and a chapel. It was quite the hike but it was worth it for the views.

We then enjoyed some back roads into Narbonne before stopping for dinner along Les Barques Alley in the historical centre of Narbonne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb